Love in the Open Air

Having Paul in your life just made your life so much easier and overall better. After all, you'll never forget how he helped you through the night before.

"Paul?"

"Ah, good morning, love. Did you sleep well?"

"When I'm with you, I always do."

He blushed. "Are you ready to leave today? I'm yours for the entire day once we go home, sweetheart."

"Sounds lovely, but what about Jake and Veronica? I mean, you know how Jake feels about you now..."

"They can come with us. I'm determined to change that feeling."

"Good luck with that..."

Everything was packed and ready to go. The flight was lengthy, so much so that both of your grandkids had fallen asleep.

The long, excruciating hours were worth it to see your home sweet home again.

"Well then, Y/N, what shall we do now?"

"It's your day off, you can choose," you suggest.

"Ok, I've got quite the fun day planned."

"Go on then, lovebirds." Jake laughed, pushing us away.

"Oh no, you two are coming with us." Paul encouraged.

"But why?"

"You'll see..."

Multiple groans and protests later, Jake trudged along beside you while Veronica had no problem.

Love was certainly in the open-air tonight, even with two children tagging along.

Your eyes led you to wherever you pleased. Every place in town you've always wanted to visit but never could, Paul took you there. Any time you had your eyes glued to a certain treasure, he promised to buy it for you at some point, purchasing multiple little things throughout the day.

Unfortunately, you couldn't offer the same generosity no matter how much you yearned to. You don't have a billion-dollar net worth, and all you could do for your angel was show him around and talk.

"Um...Paul?" you asked, rather embarrassed as you strolled through the park.

"Yes, love? Are you enjoying yourself?"

How could you not be joyous right now? Paul had spoiled you more than your parents ever did in their lifetimes; the necklace you were wearing alone had proved that.

"Well, of course, but I just feel like you're going all out for me and all I'm doing is giving you tours around the inviting parts of my city. I'm worthless..."

"Y/N, no. You don't have to do anything huge for me. I don't ever want you to feel like you need to, alright? All I want is to spend quality time with you, and that's what I'm doing. You're not worthless, baby. You're my special little girl."

Paul kissed you passionately, not worrying about the people watching, particularly a specific seven-year-old boy.

"How cheesy." Jake scoffs, earning a punch in the arm from Veronica.

"Do you not know how to shut up?"

You dawdled in the park for a little longer, letting the kids frolic on the playground.

You knew that Paul told you not to stress over what he does for you and how you didn't have to match it, but soon after you left the park, he took you out to a rather elegant restaurant that you've never been to.

"Isn't this delightful?"

"It sure is. I'd never been to this place until now."

Paul smiled. "Y'know, you're a lovely bird, Y/N. I'm so glad I befriended you all those years ago." he took your hand and kissed it.

You blushed. "I am too. If it wasn't for you, I would've been lonely and shy my entire life."

"Can we stop now?" Jake pleaded, hating every second of the romantic scene. Veronica didn't even care enough to make a witty comeback at this point.

"The night is still young, sweetheart. I've got one last surprise for everyone..."

Ok, so obviously I referred to The Night Before in the beginning, but when I put the Beatles on to listen to while I wrote the chapter, it was the first song that came up. Wow 😂