Early Days

A friendship this strong cannot be broken.

He stood by me practically everywhere, and what my parents couldn't do for me in my life, Paul did. The man saved my life.

Especially in 1957, when high school rolled around.

Let's just say that it didn't treat me well...

Even though my biggest flaws are behind me, bullies never go away. Not to mention, my parents couldn't and wouldn't tutor me when I struggled the most. It was a nightmare.

But I had Paul, my secret weapon for success, and the only reason I survived that prison. He put me in a trance.

However, there was one unexpected day where Paul wasn't there for me. There I stood, backed up against a wall, defenseless until a teacher came to the rescue.

When he returned at lunch, my heart still felt broken. I wouldn't speak to him.

"Hi Y/N!"

No reply.

"Um...Y/N? You ok?"

I wouldn't speak, laying my head on my arms.

"Oh...is this about me not being here today?"

I nodded. "Why'd you ditch me?"

"I didn't mean to ditch you. I found a band and I'm in it now, I even met a new friend, his name is John."

At first, I thought it wasn't much of a big deal. In fact, I thought Paul being in a band made him even more attractive.

But as he abandoned me more and more for practice was when I had enough.

Sneakily, I followed Paul to his hideout where he and some others played music.

Watching him closely, I was captivated by his bass playing, left-handed, too.

"You play such lovely music, Paulie..."
I say to myself a bit too loudly, obviously someone hearing.

"You've got a fangirl out there, Paulie." an unfamiliar voice giggled.

Paul rolled his eyes, not wanting to be called that by anyone but me.

"Y/N? What are you doing here?" Paul looked genuinely upset with me.

"I'm sorry, Paul, I just wanted to see you play..."

He sighed. "Well, you might as well meet everyone. That's Pete, George, and John. Guys, this is Y/N, my bird and best friend for years."

John smirked and approached me. "Quite a pretty bird, isn't she, George?"

George followed. "Pretty indeed."

"Hands off me bird, lads." Paul slipped his hand in mine as we walked home.

As the band developed, Pete got the boot and was replaced with a much better drummer in my opinion: Ringo Starr. They earned more opportunities with their bigger status, touring and releasing records. It came to the point where I hardly saw Paul from all the hard work he put in with the band.

Bless my poor Paulie's soul.

I also developed a fit of burning jealousy for John. I knew about the cutesy nicknames they had for one another; unbelievable names that you'd never think two friends would call each other: love, bunny, my little flower princess, and a ton of other stuff like that.

There were times when I felt like Paul had fallen out of love with me.

One night when he had a late night at the studio, I began to cry, thinking he'd never come back. It startled me when he placed his reassuring hand on my shoulder.

"Y/N? What is the matter, darling?" He gently spoke.

"You...you came back?"

"Did you think I would leave? Never, love."

"I'm so stupid... I thought you would ditch me because of all the time you spend with John..."

"Y/N, please don't talk like that. You know John and I are just friends, and you and I are lovers. I adore you, Y/N, never forget that."

The loving kiss he pressed against my lips worked wonders for me. I tell you, that man has the softest lips across the universe.

For every Beatles concert where he had to be away, I could replay his techniques of relaxing me in my head, lulling me to sleep on rough nights.