Why So Blue

Your POV

That was it. You've heard enough.

"Grandma, please come back, it's not what it looks like..." Veronica struggled to explain, but it didn't matter. You pushed her away.

You sprawled yourself onto the bed, overhearing the murmurs of Jake and Veronica in the background.

"Look what you did, Jake! You broke grandma!"

"She doesn't know it's me yet! For all you know, you're the one in the wrong here!"

"You disgust me sometimes."

"Well, I hate you too, sis."

Sibling rivalry. Typical.

But you weren't in the mood to deal with it. Maybe Paul would if he heard it.

Speaking of Paul, where is he? You needed him more than ever at the moment.

"Y/N, love? You ok? I was in the bathroom and I heard a lot of shouting."

Perfect timing. You gaze into his gorgeous hazel eyes and shake your head.

He frowns and sits on the bed. "What's bothering my angel?"

You weakly ask the question, "What have you heard?" wondering what Paul knows about all of the drama that is solely based around him.

"Nothing. It was all a mess of noise to me. What is it that makes you so upset?"

You sighed, holding back tears. "Jake disapproves of us together, which caused a huge argument between them..."

"Oh, my poor princess. It breaks my heart to see you like this."

He wraps us in a blanket and rubs my shoulders gently.

"Paul-"

"Shh..."

"What are you-"

"Shh. I'm going to help you relax, ok?"

He pulled you close to him, beginning one of the most beautiful songs you've ever heard.

"Staring from a cardboard castle down and out, one of life's young students finds out what it's all about, paper flutters, angry taxi drivers shout..."

Paul had held your waist, not letting go.

"From the pages of a paper, candles shine on a perfect table laid for two who love to dine, they suggest a highly recommended wine, once again the same old line..."

He had practically begged the next line he sang.

"Why so sad my fine young friend, why so blue?"

He temporarily stops singing and looks into my sad eyes, like he was trying to find something.

"Weary carriage horses stand in single file, someone at a crowded bus stop wears a friendly smile, touching nerves that no one's heard from in a while, papers from the same old file, why so sad my fine young friend, why so blue?"

Paul cuddles you closer, placing soft kisses on your cheek and jawline.

"Sometimes when eyes meet, you know, they have to meet again. Sometimes birds of a feather got to fly together."

Paul holds your hand as he sings the line, where all of the stress melts away.

"From a dingy attic window candles shine, on a perfect table laid for two who love to dine, now they drink the highly recommended wine, free at last and feeling fine."

Paul rests his head on your shoulder and spoons you, finishing the song as praise.

"I'm so glad my fine young friend, glad for you. I'm so glad my fine young friend, glad for you."

You're a blushing mess. You don't know what to say.

"Aww, Paul..."

"Do you feel better now?"

"So much better..."

"Excellent. Now listen, maybe if we all hang out together, Jake will warm up to this whole thing. I'm free tomorrow. We'll have to leave here, but we can either hang out at your place or mine. Up to you."

"We can decide tomorrow. I'm exhausted."

"That's alright. Goodnight, sweetheart."

"Goodnight, Paulie."