CHAPTER TWENTY-THREE

Hermione pulled away and looked at Aurora and couldn't help let out a muffled sob at the sight of her. There were bloodstains on her face and underneath that a big bruise on her cheek. Her whole body was trembling and her voice was too. Her eyes looked heavy and had dark rings around them, her leg was injured in some way or another and she was clutching her side. Hermione enveloped her in another hug, pulling her close and crying into her hair.

Aurora held Hermione close, reveling in the feeling of having her in her arms. She stroked Hermione's hair with her free hand and to her surprise it was still soft. Hermione looked drained from energy, exhausted and tired, but still smiled at her. Aurora did the same.

"I can't believe you're finally here. I've missed you so much." Aurora said breathlessly, trying to formulate full sentences, reaching out for Hermione's cheek and brushing away her tears. "You were the only thing keeping me alive down there you know, the thought of life after school, after the war. We lived in a cozy house by a forest and looked at the stars at night. You read your books while I painted you." she whispered.

Hermione gave her a teary smile. "That sounds lovely, Rory. I look forward to it." She whispered back, tears still falling. They both lent in at the same time and shared a long awaited kiss. Hermione's lips were soft, but she knew hers weren't. That didn't stop her from enjoying it and they held each other close.

"Err...girls?" A voice interrupted them. They broke apart and looked up at a sheepish Harry. "We have to heal you, both of you. Bill here is a great healer according to Ron, he can have a look at you." Harry motioned to the long haired ginger behind him who was watching the whole encounter curiously, but nodded at Harry's words and stepped forward, not saying anything to what he just saw.

"I can start with any one of you, just lay down on the sofa." Bill said, looking between them. "I'd actually best start with you, your leg doesn't look too good." Bill said motioning to Aurora, who he had noticed was also clutching her stomach and wincing. Hermione nodded and carefully got up and took the armchair Ron offered her. Aurora lay down on the sofa and looked over to Bill who knelt down beside her.

"I'm gonna lift up your top to see the damage, okay?" he asked professionally. She nodded, knowing it had to be done, but still not entirely comfortable with it. He lifted it and the whole room took in a sharp breath at the sight that reached them. There were a few very big and painful looking bruises on her stomach and peeking out from her chest. Dolohov's kicks and the Cruciatus curse combined made lovely bruises. Also the ones from when she had tried to escape were almost healed, just not yet. 

Bill muttered a few spells that removed the pain almost instantaneously, letting her sigh with relief. She thanked him profusely and he just nodded and moved on to her leg which still hurt from falling from the tree. It had not been healed and although it was just a sprain, she must have ripped something in her foot because Bill could not heal it completely. He took a deep breath once more before an even more serious look took over his face.

"How do you feel?" Bill asked, addressing the fact that she looked half asleep, eyes half open and head lolling on the armrest.

"I feel...tired. Heavy. Scared." She closed her eyes and didn't open them until she answered his next question.

"Did they use the cruciuatus curse on you?" he asked solemnly. She nodded tiredly, eyes still closed..

"How many times?" 

"Today or in total?" She asked quietly as she slowly opened her eyes. She received looks of pity from the entire room and Hermione looked horrified. Bill whispered in answer. "In total." she had to think about it, counting the times. It had been two today, and those few times with the Dark Lord had been bad.