CHAPTER TWELVE

Hermione was currently standing in Dumbledore's office, working up the courage to ask what she came here for. 

"Professor Dumbledore, Sir. I was wondering if I could have permission to go to St Mungos today?" She had only been permitted to see Aurora that one time, it had gone a week since she had seen her and she had to know how she was doing.

"Ah yes, I though you would be asking something like that. And as much as I wish to grant you permission myself, you must ask her legal guardian, as your friend is no longer in Hogwarts' care." Hermione sighed.

"And what if this legal guardian doesn't allow it?" she asked, already knowing the answer.

"Then there is nothing I can do for you. I'm sorry, Miss Granger. Truly." Dumbledore said, pitying the young girl before him.

She nodded and bid her goodbye, knowing what she had to do. She just had to muster up some courage. She set course for the dungeons and walked as quickly as she could, not wanting to run into anyone. Luck was not on her side today because in her hurry she ran right into Draco Malfoy. She stepped back and quickly tried to walk around him, terrified he would hurt her like he hurt Aurora. He grabbed her arm as she tried to pass and she panicked. She squealed and pushed at his arm, frantically wanting to get away. She pulled out her wand and ripped her arm out of his grasp, stepping back away from him.

"Leave me alone, Malfoy or I swear I'll curse you." she said, fear causing adrenaline to fuel her body.

"Relax, I'm not going to hurt you." He said, lifting his arms in surrender. She looked at him incredulously.

"You think I'm going to relax around you after what you've done to Aurora? You almost killed her!" She was furious and scared. Aurora still had not woken up and every day it made Hermione more and more anxious. And she was angry at Malfoy for doing this to her, angry that he told her to relax.

"Whatever do you mean? She's fine isn't she? Just a bit banged up." she was shocked by his question because he genuinely seemed confused.

"She still hasn't woken up and she's been at St Mungos this whole time. She is not okay, Malfoy, and It's all your fault!" Malfoy seemed to actually be shocked this time, and she couldn't for the life of her figure out why. He had been there, he had beat her up along with the others, he must have known what condition she was in.

"Blake told us she would be fine. He said he had cast a wandless protection spell on her before we started so she wouldn't be so badly hurt, and its not like I touched her like he did." Her stomach curled at his words and she was stunned into silence.

"What?" she whispered, a horrified look on her face. Blake had touched her. She couldn't believe Malfoy believed such lies. No Hogwarts student could possibly have mastered the skill of wandless magic at 17. And the fact that someone had touched Aurora made her almost mad with rage.

"Malfoy, you prick! How could you be such a fool to believe someone by the likes of Conner Blake!" she pointed her wand directly at him now, her hand was trembling and her voice shook as she continued. Her heart broke for Aurora who was struggling so much and had to have this happen to her.

"How could you" she swallowed harshly. "- how could you let someone touch her, Draco! I thought you might have some human decency stored away in that cold heart of yours, but seems like I was wrong." She was crying at this point and she knew she had caught Malfoy by surprise. He had certainly not expected her to talk to him like she just had, nor calling him by his first name. But at least he had the decency to look guilty.

"I didn't know he was going to do that. I swear, I really didn't know. Besides, I would never do that to anyone. And I wouldn't have hurt her if I knew she wasn't under a protection spell. I apologize." he said, not meeting her eyes.