CHAPTER FOUR

Five years later

She was late to potions. She hated being late for class, but being late for potions was the worst. Her father gave her no special treatment in his class and would happily give her detention if called for. Aurora would even go so far as to say she was treated more harshly than anyone else in potions. And now she was late and was for certain going to receive another detention and lose Hufflepuff points. Again.

Umbridge had already called her out for talking in class that morning and she was to serve her first detention with the cruel Defense Against the Dark Arts teacher the following evening.

She entered class as quietly as possible and sat down in the empty chair next to Hermione. They were all reading a chapter in the book, so the room was deadly silent. Hermione looked up when she sat down and smiled at her, her buck teeth now gone and hair much less bushy. Aurora couldn't help the butterflies in her tummy flying around at the sight of Hermione. She was so beautiful, inside and out. Aurora knew that what she felt for Hermione at this point was more than platonic.  She had known that since last year when she had first dreamt of kissing her. Of course there had been a lot of denial along the way, but had eventually come to terms with it. 

 She was looking forward to that evening because they had agreed to meet up in the library and work on some homework together. Any time spent with Hermione was time well spent. Luckily Umbridges detention was before that, so she would still make it on time. She was about to whisper hello when a tap on her shoulder stopped her.

Behind her, her father stood with a roll of parchment in his hand, looking down at her sternly. 

"You're late." he drawled. She wasn't quite sure what to say because she didn't have any explanation apart from the fact that Umbridge had given her detention.

"I'm sorry, it wont happen again." she said, begging him with her eyes not to give her detention.

"You said that last time as well. Detention this evening." With that said he walked back to the front of the room and she groaned in her seat. Now that she had gotten detention she didn't bother to keep her voice down.

"I'm sorry Hermione. I was really exited about tonight. I'll talk to him, he has to let me off this once." she said, looking at Hermione sadly. 

Hermione smiled at her, eyes sparkling.

"It's fine, 'Rory. We can always just reschedule, and besides, it would be more fun to go for a walk or something. Why don't we do that instead, say tomorrow?"

Aurora was over the moon. Going on a walk with Hermione was so much better than she could have hoped. 

"That sounds great! I'd love to go for a walk!" she exclaimed, possibly a bit to loud, because Snape called out at them to be quiet. "Lets go around the black lake? It's so pretty this time of year." She whispered to Hermione who nodded and grinned. "Bring something nice from the kitchens."

The rest of the class went by and just as everyone had packed up she went up to her fathers desk to ask about the detention. She still wanted to meet Hermione in the library tonight, so she though she might as well give it a shot.

"Dad, can I please do detention some other time? I had plans this evening." she pleaded.

"Aurora, you can't possibly think I will let you decide when you are to serve your detention simply because you are my daughter." He said indignantly. She sighs heavily even thought she expected that answer.