Chapter 52

(Full of emotion and feelings and necessary relationship developments, enjoy some more intensity)

Martin's POV

As my fist connects with the plastered wall, I feel my knuckles sear with pain. My vision blurs, shifting, moving, while the continuous rhythm of each thump resounds in my ears. I can feel a burning ache deep inside the bones of my hand and with one last punch, my hand slides down the white wall, along with the rest of my body.

"Fuck!" I cuss to myself, the word bouncing off the walls of the empty room. I hope this building is as abandoned as the sign outside says it is; I don't want to see another human being.

My chest heaves as I stare at the black screen of my phone laying on the ground beside me. I close my eyes, pressing my index fingers to my eyelids. I knew it. I knew she would do this. I go away for two fucking days and she's done. I'm not even there doing shit and she's done with me. How is it possible that I can still manage to mess her up from thousands of miles away?

I don't know how I feel about her being so strange. My gut instinct tells me she's already gone, given up. She probably won't even tell me. She'll just sit back and wait for me to figure it out or some shit.

I just hope to God that she isn't fucking around with Nick that piece of shit. I swear I will smash his head open if I see him again. He just shows up at all the right times and knowing what a conniving, nosy bastard he is, he'll probably take full advantage of this situation.

Then again, maybe they're better off with each other. She's inquisitive, he's exactly the same. I don't deserve her or how she puts up with all of this idiocy I make her go through.

I wish I would have tried being better earlier. I always told her I would be and I didn't do it. She would always believe me, and me being the selfish piece of shit that I am, I took advantage of it and didn't bother even trying. I knew she'd always come running back to me for some reason. But maybe I've finally fucked it all up. Maybe I'm going to end up in jail and that will be better for everyone.

My head chooses to start to ache at this precise goddamn moment and I shakily massage my temples. Should I pray or something? How does someone even pray? My grandmother used to-

My grandmother.

Why didn't I fucking think of this earlier? She lives barely thirty minutes away. With all the crap that's been going on, I completely forgot about the one person who never stopped giving a shit about me.

I scramble to my feet, grabbing my phone off the floor. I stare at my knuckles for a moment, wincing from not only the pain, but the sight of them. Zoe would probably lose her shit and say I need stitches or something. Which I actually probably do.

Ignoring my broken knuckles, I head out the door of the old, empty side building and cross the street. Just as I do, my phone rings. I answer it without looking at the caller ID as I try to catch a taxi.

"What?"

"I know you probably don't want to be around people, but you need to at least let us know where you are," Gertzen says calmly, his voice still slightly concerned.

"I'm going to my grandmothers house," I snap, as a taxi slows to a stop in front of me.

"Oh. That's good. Alright, we'll talk later. You should probably be home by 8," he replies.

I nod to myself despite the fact that it's a phone call and hang up. I get in, closing the door behind me.

"Carolien Hildegard Manor, it's that way," I point to the opposite end of the now busy Main Street.