Chapter 53

Zoe's POV

When Nick and I arrive at the party, it's exactly the same as it was the last time. People are everywhere, and noise seeps out of every corner of the house. The lawn is disgusting, with red and blue plastic cups scattered here and there, and cigarette butts littering the grass. I scrunch up my nose at the smell of booze and cigarette smoke when we enter through the opened front door.

"Welcome!" A red haired boy booms, his grin bright and gives away exactly how high he must be. I recognize him as Dean from the last time we played beer pong.

The irony of me being at this frat party suddenly dawns. I intend to be a lawyer one day, and here I am in the midst of underage drinking and who knows what else, not doing a single thing about it. It makes me feel as if I'm betraying myself but the feeling fades.

"Hey," Nick claps Dean on the back and he almost topples over. "Too much to drink, clearly."

Dean cackles to himself as if Nick just said the funniest thing on earth. He winks at us and moves away to grovel over an innocent looking girl who looks so scared I feel sorry for her. Then again, I probably look exactly the same.

"It's just a party," Nick reminds me, taking my hand again.

I look down at where our fingers are intertwined. My mind immediately flashes to a time in the hospital parking lot after my father's accident when I asked Martin why he was always holding my hand. He'd let go, insulted me saying I was annoying and then grabbed it again claiming that that didn't mean he couldn't hold it anyway. I smile at the memory, I barely knew him then. But then I do a double take. I still barely know him, I remind myself. Shaking my head of him, and cursing myself for thinking of him, I offer Nick a sheepish smile.

"Okay, so you want something to drink?"

"If you can find a way to get me a glass of water, then yes please," I look around skeptically.

Nick laughs before pulling me towards a door. It turns out to be a rather large kitchen and it's such a mess that I cringe, making a face that Nick notices.

"What did you expect from a house full of guys?" he remarks, checking cupboards for a glass cup.

"Still..." I trail off, taking a seat carefully on a bar stool, checking first if there's anything on it. I swipe it with a tissue just in case.

I watch as Nick fills the cup with water and hands it to me. I take a sip and he leans against the counter. From inside the kitchen, and sitting on the stool, I can feel the walls vibrating with the music playing on the outside. It's muffled but still definitely audible.

"I can tell you don't really like this but I promise it's fun," Nick smiles at me as he folds his arms across his chest, "Sometimes."

"Sometimes?"

"Yeah, well if the police don't show up and threaten to forcibly conscript us all into the United States Army."

I almost drop the glass I'm holding, my mouth open. Nick throws his head back, snorting and laughing and I want to instead chuck the glass at his head.

"Don't do that!" I whine, smiling still.

"You future lawyers are just so easy to catch," he smirks at me and I roll my eyes.

"Well, we're missing the party," he pushes himself off the counter and walks over to me.

"Can't we stay in here?" I grumble, sighing.

"No, actually we can't because that's called being a loner."

I grumble to myself unintelligibly, placing my cup on the counter. I consider washing it but when I look over to the kitchen sink, Nick widens his eyes as if to say, "Seriously, Zoe? Really?" And I drop the idea.