Chapter 15

Zoe's POV

My heart hammers against my chest. Where could he have gone? My brain begins conjuring up the worst possible scenarios when logic kicks in. I jog to the bathroom but of course, the doors open and it's empty. I race down the stairs.

"Martin!" I call.

No answer.

I check the kitchen and look out the windows; the lawn is clear and I realize just what a beautiful day it actually is. However, the image is ruined when Martin invades my thoughts. Where is he? He couldn't have gone far because he doesn't have a car, yet he doesn't seem like the type who'd walk somewhere on a whim.

I debate whether to call my parents and let them know but as soon as the thought pops into my head, I dismiss it. The conversation with my father last night replays in my head and I decide the answer is no. This is his last chance or else they'll send him back which isn't going to happen.

I take the stairs two at a time, my first idea is to call him but I quickly realize I don't have his number. Great.

I grab a pair of clean jeans, glancing down at the pair I wore last night that's tossed on the floor. I make a mental note to burn them later. With a white tank top and navy sweater, I race to the bathroom, showering in under five minutes. Once I'm dressed, I spot my mothers make up bag and decide it couldn't hurt.. After a few dabs of concealer under my eyes and a couple strokes of blush, I tumble down the stairs.

My car roars to life, the engine grunting and groaning as I reverse frantically out the driveway. I realize I have no idea where I'm going. Even though Branford is a small town, I still have no idea where to look first. Deciding to just drive around in case he did actually take a walk, I relax a little, knowing he has to be around here somewhere.

After driving around the quiet town for almost fifteen minutes, I start to panic. What if something happened to him? What if those guys from last night found him and tried to get revenge? I gulp and try to shake off the shiver that runs down my spine.

My eyes scan the road ahead as I pull up near a small park to clear my head and make a decision.

Should I call my parents?

I sigh glancing out the window, when suddenly I spot a bright yellow head of hair. Lisa. I watch as she walks slowly, holding a large blue bag in her hand, around the corner and jumps over the picket fence bordering the park. The name she calls out makes my heart beat faster.

"Martin!"

From behind a large oak tree, a pair of white Converse step aside and he comes into view. So this is where he ran off to, to meet a wannabe prostitute. I fight the anger boiling in the pit of my stomach as she walks up to him and runs her hand down his chest. He smirks and grabs her waist. I look away as bile rises in my throat.

When I look up, Martin has taken the blue bag in his hand and they're walking over to another tree further down. They take a seat in the shade and Martin pulls out a small brown object from the bag. He fiddle with the top and then brings it to his lips.

He's drinking?

Before I know it, I tumble out the car and slam the door just hard enough for the two of them to jerk up and look around. They don't spot me as I walk down the sidewalk and plan to ask him what the hell he was thinking.

An idea pops into my head. I walk around the border of the park until I reach a cluster of bushes behind the tree Martin and Lisa are seated under. I crouch down and do what I hate other people doing - I eavesdrop.

"So why did you call me?" Lisa asks, bringing a cigarette to her lips.

"Dunno." Martin replies.