Chapter 55

Song attached is the song I listened to on repeat to write this chapter. (If you listen to it while you read it might make you explode with sadness and feels.) I'm obsessed with the entire EP. Obsessed.

Martin's POV

"Yes, 5:45. Today? Great. Thanks," I hang up.

I rub my eyes that are heavy and aching. I didn't get any sleep last night. Thankfully, Julian had a show and no one called.

I sit back on the couch. Tomorrow I'll be back in America and I'll have to pretend that none of this happened. Zoe will ask questions, I know she will. She has to. What the hell do I say? I can lie, sure, but that's becoming difficult. Especially with her, dammit. I wanted to call her last night but decided against it. I still want to but something in my head keeps pushing the thought just far enough so that I don't.

Before I left, we were on bad terms. Then I called her the other day and she was different. I can't put my finger on it but then again maybe I'm imagining things. It's usually easy to tell when she's pissed off or upset about shit because she's such a terrible pretender.

I brush it away and head back to my room in Julian's apartment. As soon as my head hits the pillow, I close my eyes and, miraculously, fall asleep.

When I wake, it's late in the afternoon. I hear shuffling in the kitchen and after showering, I follow the smell of almost burnt coffee.

"Coffee is the easiest thing to make in the entire world."

Julian doesn't turn around, he just carries on pouring milk into a cup.

"Good afternoon, sunshine. How are we feeling today? Hunk dory, I assume, from that wonderful sense of humor you've got going on there."

I roll my eyes as he passes me the cup in his hands and moves to make another one.

"Should I avoid the topic of yesterday?" he asks, glancing at me.

"It was exactly what it was last year. Maybe worse, I don't know," I shrug, looking at the floor.

Julian doesn't say anything. He moves around, shifting things and cleaning.

"You know. I don't think you're going to jail."

I look at him with a blank expression.

"Why?"

"He started it," Julian raises his eyebrows. "What can they prove anyway?"

"That I almost killed him," I retort and Julian rolls his eyes.

"Relax. He didn't die. That's the point."

"I don't want to talk about this anymore," I look away and finish my burnt coffee.

Julian stays quiet.

"I'm going back tomorrow."

"For another deposition?" he asks, his eyes wide.

"No. Back to Boston."

"Oh. Don't you have to stay?"

"I spoke to Gertzen. He says I can because my semester starts soon anyway. Apparently, the case can't actually go to trial yet."

"Why?"

"Because they still have to decide if they want to settle or not."

Julian nods. I sigh, placing my cup on the counter.

"I'm going to pack."

..

"Tell Zoe I said hi," Julian adds, as he walks off.