Chapter 26

Zoe's POV

"Wakey, wakey, little annoying Zoe."

I awake with a start as something tickles my face. Opening my eyes, I realize I'm covered in sand.

"What the.."

"Actually I think that was a waste of a good slice of toast," Martin says from above me.

I'm covered in crumbs. Crumbs of his damn toast. I jump off the couch and immediately regret the movement as the morsels find their way into my top and sticking onto my stomach. A few bigger pieces tumble off my head and I cringe at the thought of the little crumbs trapped in my messy hair.

"What the hell is wrong with you, you dirtbag!" I spit.

"Ooh, I'm a dirtbag. What an insult! I don't think you should be using that kind of language," Martin taunts as he dusts off his hands.

"You disgust me, honestly. You just.. I just can't deal with you!" I shriek in annoyance, almost ready to jump over the couch and slap him as hard as I can.

"Standing there shaking isn't going to get rid of the crumbs."

"Oh, and what else will, please enlighten me," I ask sarcastically.

"Take all your clothes off."

"In your dre-" I stop myself knowing the filthy mind he has.

"In my what? My dreams?" he asks innocently, "Actually, Zoe, I don't dream of you naked."

I decide to ignore him and his annoying smirk. I need a shower.

"Where are you going, toasty Zoe?" Martin drawls from behind. I roll my eyes at his childish behavior. "I hope you're not going to shower.."

I whip around, "Did you use up all the hot water?"

"Yes, I think I did," he replies, pretending to think about it.

"I hate you," I scowl before stomping over to the front door and swinging it open.

"And where are you going?" Martin asks, his tone serious all of a sudden.

I am so done trying to decipher his mood changes. There's that saying that goes something like, "Some people are like the weather - their moods change without warning." Well, Martin is worse than the damn weather and I don't know what's worse than that.

"I'm not talking to you," I snap and shut the door behind me.

Where exactly am I going? Maybe I should try finding a maintenance man or something and ask him if he can sort out the hot water problem. This is such a fancy hotel, their geysers should be a lot bigger.

The elevator is cold as I step in, pressing the button for the lobby. As the doors close, I stare down the hallway, part of me wanting to see Martin come stomping toward me, his familiar growl echoing off the walls. That reminds me - why was he in such a playful mood?

I push him out of my thoughts and turn to the mirror. I cringe at my reflection. Who cares though, nobody here even knows me. I ruffle my hair and the last few crumbs scatter around.

The lobby is empty except for the concierge who appears to be taking a nap. I walk to the front desk and ring the small silver bell for assistance. The clock above the desk tells me it's six a.m. At least Martin woke me up early, despite the horrible way in which he did it.

I ring the bell twice more and a door to the left behind the desk swings open.

"Oh, good morning," Nick says brightly, in his accented English.