Chapter 4

Martin's POV

"Can you get out now?" I snapped, slamming the door shut in the nosy girls face. First she spied on me then stared like a creep. But she's hot at least. If I didn't already hate this place, I would certainly have made a move on her.

First of all, this family especially the mother, or whoever that lady was that greeted me at the door, are touchy feely. "Welcome to America!" as if it's a good thing that I'm here.

Second of all, I need a drink, or a smoke, or maybe a damn flight home.

I don't think my parents or anyone else that was involved in this damn plan thought about how I'd feel. It's not a good feeling knowing you're only here because you messed up your life and everyone knows it.

I stare around the sparsely decorated room. The room is quite large with a large double bed and floor to ceiling windows on the furthest end, overlooking the neighborhood. I walk over to the windows, kicking off my shoes.

This neighborhood is small, smaller than I expected and I know this is one of those towns where everyone knows everyone else's business.

I dive onto the bed and bury my aching head into a pillow. All I need is a drink and maybe a puff or two and I'll be able to deal with this all this shit. But these people have probably been told that alcohol is forbidden.

..

Zoe's POV

As soon as I get to my room, angry and confused, I text Lea.

Zoe: He's hot and all but rude. I don't like him!

A few minutes later my phone vibrates with her reply.

Lea: HE'S SEXY AF! Why?! What did he do?!

I decided it's pointless explaining in a text message so I call her instead.

"Details Zoe Lorden! Details!" she squeals and I can't help but smile.

"He basically told me to get out his room and slammed the door in my face. Besides that, he hardly talks and he always looks angry." I whine, thinking back to the look on his face when my mum was kind enough to hug him. Well, she hugs everyone but she was just trying to make him feel welcome.

"Why were you in his room?" I can tell she's smirking on the other end.

"What? Shut up okay I know what you're thinking. I wasn't even in his room firstly! I just showed him where it was and he snapped at me all of a sudden." I rush the words, once again becoming more and more irritated that he was so rude.

"Oh.. I see." She says slowly and I can hear by her words that she's smiling. "Well, maybe he's just getting used to things? I mean, he's living with a strange family like a million miles away from home."

I mull over her words knowing she's right. The guy's got issues and he's probably still trying to wrap his head around the whole idea. But that also doesn't mean he can be rude to the people that are trying to help.

"Yeah I guess you're right.." I say, sighing. "But if he snaps at me again, I'll tell him where he can shove his attitude!" I huff.

I hear Lea burst out laughing on the other end and eventually I laugh along with her.

"I think you should!" she laughs. "I'll catch up with you later okay, Josh's here. We're going to watch that stupid zombie film he's been dying to see. Or maybe you can come with? You haven't been out in ages!" She asks.

"Uhmm, zombie movies aren't my thing.." I laugh.

"Yeah they aren't mine either but you need to get out more often. All you do is sit and obsess over Harvard, counting the days till you get there." She whines.

My stomach tightens in the best possible way when she mentions Harvard. It was always my dream to go to law school and the fact that I managed to get into Harvard still surprises me. Although, some idiots at school with nothing else to do with their lives made up rumors that I'd only got in because my father's on the admissions board. It's a load of bull crap obviously because my dad switched boards before I got in. Now he's the head of the board of discipline. Besides, I worked my butt off to get in scoring a 117 on the LSATS.

"Ok fine, let me check with my parents." I sigh, giving in to Lea's pleas.

I trudge downstairs and head to the kitchen. My mum's busy, as usual, cooking up a storm and it smells divine.

"Mum?" I ask, as she scrapes onions off a chopping board and into a large pot.

"Yes honey?" she sings.

"Uhm, Lea wants to know if I can go see a movie with her and Josh." I say, looking curiously into the pot.

"I don't know, with Martin here and all that, maybe you should stay home tonight.." she says tentatively.

At the mention of his name, I feel myself getting annoyed again but I try not to let it show.

"Why? Maybe he wants to be alone." I cross my arms and look away from my mothers suspicious eyes.

"I don't know but you should at least try to get to know him. He could use a friend or two." She's smiling a sympathetic smile and its making me sick because that rude human upstairs doesn't deserve sympathy.

"Maybe take him with you." My dad chirps from the behind the refrigerator door. I hadn't even noticed he was there.

I almost choke on my own saliva at his suggestion.

"What?"

"Take him with you. Your mothers right. He needs to make a few friends and hanging out with people his own age would be a good way for him to settle in."

I think about how awkward it's going to be if he comes along. Lea would be over the moon though. I actually want to go out but what if he starts off again with that terrible attitude of his?

But it's just a movie and there'll be no chance to talk so I guess it should be fine. I mean, it's not like I want to talk to him or anything so what's the problem?

"Fine," I sigh, "I'll invite him."

My dad grins and tells me to behave as I leave the kitchen.

Stopping at the end of the hallway, I stand outside his door, my hand poised to knock. What if he's asleep?

I knock twice and wait. He doesn't answer after 5 minutes of me waiting awkwardly so I knock twice again and just as I'm about to knock for the third time, the door swings open.

"What the fuck?" Martin says, his voice raspy. He's shirtless as he rubs his eye with one hand and then runs it through his sleep disheveled hair, which is now a dark brown.

My eyes linger on the deep v shaped lines that dip into the waistband of his jeans.

He snaps his fingers in my face, "Hello?"

I jerk my head up and feel my face burn up. He just caught me staring. He probably thinks I was staring at his cro-

"What the hell is your problem?" he says in his Dutch accented English.

There we go with the rudeness again. I feel my cheeks burn but this time out of anger. I decide not to call him out on his attitude for now since I was actually staring and not paying attention.

"I actually came up here to invite you to see a movie with a few of my friends." I say, looking him straight in the eyes.

"Why?" he asks.

"Listen if you don't want to come, then don't." I snap in annoyance. "I'd have a nicer night anyway." I mutter the last part and turn to walk away.

Martin grabs my arm and I jerk round in shock to face him.

"I'll come." is all he says before letting go of my hand and slamming the door shut again.