Chapter 18

Martin's POV

"Wake up!" I whisper loudly. She stirs but her eyes stay closed. "Zoe. Wake the fuck up!" I tug her elbow and she moves, turning onto her side. Her eyes flutter open slowly and she looks confused before her eyes widen. I almost laugh at the look on her face.

"Wha- What happened? Why am I in your be-" she stammers but I clasp a hand over her mouth.

"Don't worry. Your mothers here." I whisper angrily and if it's even possible, her eyes widen further.

"Oh my God! If she sees u-" Zoe stops as we both hear the doorknob turn. Our heads jerk in the direction of the door and I suck in a breath. The doorknob turns but the door remains closed. That's when I remember I locked it last night.

What are we going to do?" Zoe whispers. She sits up, looking at me worriedly. I glance down at her chest before quickly looking up again hoping she doesn't notice. But of course, she does. She immediately crosses her arms. "Do you have a plan or what?"

Before I can answer, the hippy calls out again from the other side.

"Martin! Are you in there? Where's Zoe?" Her voice is strained yet worried.

I look at Zoe and she's already staring at me, frowning.

"Get in the closet," I jump off the bed, pulling her behind me. It's the best idea I can come up with. It's only been a few hours and I'm already fucking shit up.

Zoe pulls her arm away from my grip and I look down at her, realizing for the first time that, once again, she doesn't seem to be wearing pants. I growl when I feel her hand connect with the side of my cheek.

"Is that your idea of a slap?" I open the door to the large closet and she steps in, glaring at me.

"I hope it hurt," she says, crossing her arms again.

"Well it didn't princess."

"Are we really arguing about this now? Go open the door!" She whisper-yells.

"Fine, fine!" I mumble, shutting the door to the closet.

A small smile plays on my lips as I hear her grumble quietly on the other side, "And don't call me princess."

I pull open the door, making sure to look as if I've just woken up.

"Martin! I thought you'd gone somewhere or something.." she trails off before looking past me into the room. Is everyone in this family just naturally nosy or is it hereditary?

"No, I just woke up."

"Oh. Well, where's Zoe?" she asks.

"She went out, I think, I heard her tell me through the door earlier. For a walk. She should be back soon," I lie smoothly, it was the first and most reasonable thing I can think of.

"Oh okay," she nods, closing her eyes for a second before looking back up at me. Her eyes are swollen and dark circles rim the edges. She looks like she's been dragged through hell. "I'm going to shower and get back to the hospital," she says before turning away, "And thanks for looking out for her, Martin," she gives me a small smile before disappearing down the hallway.

I shut the door and immediately, Zoe steps out of the closet. The first thing I notice is that she's wearing pants that she wasn't wearing a few minutes ago. I look closer and sure enough, they're my sweatpants.

"Why the fuck are you wearing my sweats?"

"Because you're a pervert," she replies simply.

"Take them off," I ignore her comment.