Chapter 39

Zoe's POV

"This is Julian," Martin gestures to a tall dark haired boy with the bluest eyes I have ever seen.

Julian stands leaning against the doorframe with a smile. He's handsome, extremely handsome and I find myself wondering what Dutch parents seem to be doing right.

"Hi," he says and pushes himself off the frame.

He stretches his arms out for a hug and, taken by surprise, I stare at him blankly. After a few seconds I awkwardly step forward and he hugs me briefly with a small squeeze. When I step away, I notice he's smirking in Martin's direction and he nods with an approving smile. I look suspiciously between the two of them - Martin looks smug and Julian laughs.

"What's going on?" I ask, closing the door after Julian steps in.

"Nothing," Martin replies, shrugging.

"Nice place," Julian adds quickly, looking around.

I gesture to the couch, and watch Julian as he moves around to sit down. He's dressed in jeans and a light blue t-shirt with a leather jacket that looks just like Martin's. I notice him carefully place his backpack on the floor before taking a seat. Why is he here?

I feel awkward standing behind the couch as he and Martin laugh about something. Suddenly my brain connects things together. Julian is the person I used to hear Martin talking to in his room back home.

They high five and Julian pulls out his laptop. I watch as he opens the same program Martin showed me on the airplane. He grabs a pair of headphones that are red with silvery letters spelling out "Julian Jordan". He's obviously a DJ too.

Martin glances up at me, as Julian puts the headphones over his ears and

fiddles around on the program. He gets up off the couch and takes my hand. Pulling me toward the kitchen, he taps Julian on the shoulder and says something in Dutch. Julian nods before returning his attention to the laptop.

Martin turns to me as I switch on the kitchen light.

"He's one of my best friends," Martin says, crossing his arms and leaning against the counter.

"What is he doing here?" I ask quickly, regretting the blunt tone of my voice.

"He's doing some shows around the campus clubs. Don't worry. He isn't staying here. But he wanted to meet you," Martin rolls his eyes irritatedly.

"Why?"

"I don't know," he shrugs.

"How long have you been friends?" I ask.

"A few years. Since I got signed. He was the only other guy my age."

"Oh."

Julian seems like a nice person but if he's a DJ too, then he was probably one of the 'wild' friends Martin had that got him in such a mess. Or maybe he wasn't if they're still friends.

"He's not like the other dickheads I used to be friends with," Martin says suddenly as if reading my mind, "He offered to come here with me when I got put on a break but they wouldn't allow him to. Apparently I was the bad influence," he rolls his eyes again.

I don't know what to say so I stay silent.

"He likes coffee," Martin says before pushing himself off the counter and walking out the kitchen.

I walk over to the kettle and place it under the tap. I hear Martin and Julian talking loudly in Dutch in the living room and smile at the sound of Martin's voice. He doesn't sound as dull as he usually does. They laugh again and I hear a song playing; the volume increases just as the bass of the song drops lower. The beat is incredible. It's as if it resonates within you and just makes you want to let go.