Chapter 24

Zoe's POV

I tick off the last few items on my list - toothbrush, hairbrush, extra hairpins, phone charger. Satisfied that everything is in it's place and that I haven't forgotten anything, I close the suitcase. It refuses to close. Crap. I try pushing it down with my arms but it doesn't work and it just pops open again.

I sigh in frustration, "Martin!"

I stand waiting, with my hands on my hips. I didn't even pack that many things.

"What?" Martin says, strolling into the room.

"The damn thing doesn't want to close!" I whine and he rolls his eyes.

"Because you shoved every piece of shit you own into it," he mumbles, "Hop on."

"What?"

"Sit on it," he gestures to the blue suitcase.

"What if it breaks?" I ask worriedly.

"Oh wait, you're a feather in any case. I'll sit, you lock it."

Martin plops himself on the lid of the suitcase and I lock it smoothly. I change the numbers on the lock, sighing in relief. All set.

I still don't understand what this is that's happening between us. Just a few weeks ago, he and I had declared a mutual feeling of extreme dislike toward each other but now.. Well. Saying I'm confused would be a massive understatement. He went from brooding and growling all day to telling me he wanted me to care about him when his biggest problem with me is that I 'worry too much about him'.

The fact of the matter is that even though I don't know what this is, I want to see where it will go. I've known Martin for a month and I still hardly know him but I want to know him. And the real him, the him that laughs and giggles when I hit him over the head with a pillow. But, a weird side of me that I haven't actually explored, is incredibly drawn in by that dark and mysteriously intense side of him. I want to know why he is the way he is, why he's built up all these walls.

Footsteps echo down the hallway and my mother's head appears in the doorway.

"Ready to go?" My mother smiles.

"Y- Yeah.." I say.

"I just can't believe this.." she says and her voice cracks on the last word, "My baby's flying the nest!" She sniffs and wipes the tears away from her cheeks. I walk over to the door and she pulls me into a rib-crushing hug.

I don't know what to say so I stay silent, to prevent myself from crying. As much as I've wanted to leave and start a life at Harvard, I knew it wouldn't be easy saying goodbye to this place.

"It's just orientation, though," I mumble, thankful that I get at least two more weeks here afterward.

"Oh, honey I know, but this is preparation isn't it? For when you leave us for good," she rubs my back and sniffles again.

"You're acting as if I'm terminal or something," I joke as she releases me.

"Don't say things like that!" But she smiles anyway before glancing behind me. I almost forgot Martin was in the room. Almost.

"Your father wants to talk to Martin," she says offering him a bright smile.

I gulp. When I told him Martin would be coming with me, I thought he was about to have a heart attack. It took a few hours of convincing and pleading until finally, suspiciously, he agreed. Of course he was skeptical though, since he isn't coming along for orientation because his leg is still healing. I assured him Martin wouldn't do anything stupid and reluctantly, Martin nodded in agreement. I had to force him to be civil around my father and he did surprisingly well by not losing his temper.