Chapter 51

(Yay for quick updates lol & also it's less intense)

Zoe's POV

I awake with a jolt. My hands fly forward and the papers and books lying across my stomach tumble off me and onto the floor. I sit up, disorientated, moving around the stationery scattered on my bed. Where is my phone?

The first thing I notice on the screen when I find it underneath my blanket is that it's four a.m and that Martin is calling. I stare at the brightly lit screen with squinted eyes. When he called yesterday, it was to tell me black was a tone not a color. I mean, it was random but I'd be lying if I said it didn't make me smile.

I clear my throat. "Hello?"

The line is silent except for what I assume to be the swishing sound of cars driving on a road.

"Martin? Hello?" I ask, waiting for him to say something.

I close my eyes and hope he didn't butt dial me.

"Martin!" I say, louder this time. I wait for half a minute before giving up. "Okay, fine. I'm hanging up now so-"

"Don't hang up," Martin's voice is rushed but raspy and it sounds as if he has the flu. From the way it breaks at the end, I frown.

"Martin. Is something wrong?" my voice quivers even though I will it not to. I sit up straighter on the bed and wait for a reply.

It takes moment of quiet breathing before he does.

"I- There's some shit happening...And I- Fuck. I-" Martin pauses and I imagine him licking his lips like he always does when he's thinking of something to say, "-I needed to hear a familiar voice that's all," he rushes out the last part and if I wasn't paying such close attention, I probably wouldn't have caught it.

I bite my lip for a moment, my eyebrows furrowed. "Well, whatever happened...I'm here."

"Thanks," he says quietly and it's the most vulnerable I've ever heard him sound.

"Except it's four a.m. What time is it there?"

"10 a.m."

"Oh. It's Monday," I say, not knowing what else to talk about.

I don't want to ask what's happened. I know he won't answer me truthfully, or he'll get angry that I'm even asking in the first place. I've come to accept that that's how Martin will always be, and it was stupid of me to ever think that he would change somehow because of me.

I hear a mumble from Martin on the other end. He is acting so strange. He's called me five times in total since he left, three times of which I didn't answer. And now he's being moody and quiet. What does he expect me to say? I don't even know why he's in Amsterdam in any case, he won't tell me that either, no one will apparently, even my own father. I'm the only one stuck in the dark about Martin and whatever is obviously going on, but I'm the one he chooses to call when he needs to 'hear a familiar voice'?

"Listen, Martin, I want to stay on the phone with you and have this wonderfully interesting conversation, but I have a full day of classes today, and I'm exhausted. Call me later?" I say, dangling my legs over the side of my bed.

"Why are you not asking me what happened?" Martin blurts suddenly and it takes me by surprise.

I open my mouth to answer but nothing comes out.

"You always ask," he says, his voice quiet again.

I take a moment to think while the line crackles between us. I have the answer to his question but I'm afraid to tell him. If I do, he's going to get angry or say something to purposely hurt me like he always does. I don't have any energy to be dealing with Martin's off the charts emotions right now.