Chapter 16

Zoe's POV

"Do you want to get yourself fucking killed?" Martin yells into my ear, his arm wrapped securely around my waist.

However, my eyes are fixed on my mother who's arms are flying in every direction as she talks to a police officer. I wrench myself out of Martin's grip and race across the street, jumping over the sidewalk.

"Mum!" I shout, over the sirens. "Mum!"

She turns around and her eyes widen. I can tell she's crying. My own eyes mirror hers when I notice the large cut above her brow and various smaller ones scattered on her arms.

"Zoe! Wha-" She stops, limping over to me and crushing me into a hug.

"Mum.. What- What happened? Where's dad?" I shriek, tears soaking my cheeks.

"They're- they're getting him.. They're getting him out- out the c-car." Her voice trembles as she releases me.

I feel a hand grip mine and I pull it away, but the person grabs it again. Martin. Vaguely a question crosses my mind - what's up with him and holding my hand? He doesn't like me. The thought is dismissed as the driver side door of my parents' wrecked car is yanked away by several paramedics and police officers.

My mother and I stare in horror as they slowly tug on an unmoving hand. Soon, my father comes into view and I clasp my hand over my mouth to prevent the imminent shriek. My father's face is bruised and cut to the point of it being as unrecognizable as the wrecked car. I can't stop the overflow of tears as I realize his body is motionless and his eyes are closed. No. No..

The shriek I've been holding in sounds in the already noisy street but it comes out strangled and whiny. My mother grabs me with both her arms and I feel her shoulders shake along with mine, her tears dripping one by one onto my shoulder. As much as I want to comfort her, my arms hang unmoving at my sides, shock taking over every nerve in my body.

I watch as a paramedic touches two fingers to my fathers bloody and bruised neck. He waits a few moments before looking up to his colleagues. I suck in a breath.

"He's unconscious! Bring over the stretcher.."

I don't hear the rest of his sentence as I let out the largest sigh of relief in the history of mankind. I hear my mother do the same and she hiccups before rubbing my back and rushing off to the paramedics. They place my father onto a stretcher on the count of 3 and carry him into the ambulance vehicle.

I rush over, grabbing my mums hand. as I move to climb into the ambulance, my eyes focused on my dad, a paramedic gently tugs on my elbow.

"What?" I snap, turning around.

The paramedic turns out to actually be Martin.

"Where are you going?" He says with worry in his eyes.

"Where do you think I'm going?" I yank my arm away from him.

"Honey, they're only allowing one other person in with him," my mother whispers, her voice trembling as she glances over to my dad.

"What?"

"C'mon. We'll take your shi-" I glare at Martin and he rethinks what he was going to say, "We'll take your car. I'll drive."

"Okay. And no way. I'm driving." I hug my mother and turn to walk away. She climbs in, her eyes brimming with tears as she holds my dads hand.

I walk over to the sidewalk and watch as paramedics close the door and drive off, sirens blaring.

"Give me your keys." Martin asks quietly, I feel him move over to stand next to me. He's too close.

"The last time you asked for keys, well. That wasn't a good idea." I push him away from me.