Chapter 35

Zoe's POV

"Martin.." I whimper but he doesn't seem to hear me.

His left hand moves further up my sweater, roaming near the clasp of my bra while he uses the other to prop himself up. I feel his fingers loop underneath the clasp and my breath hitches in my throat. He doesn't unfasten it, but instead moves his hand further down and slides it gently over my stomach. Gripping my hip for a moment, he adjusts himself so that he's between my legs.

Martin's lips feel too soft as they roam down my neck and I curse myself for allowing him to have this much power of my body. I can feel myself reacting to every sharp breath he takes, every movement of his hand.

I lose myself in the sensation of it, the warmth of his body and his familiar cinnamon scent engulfing me. I realize I don't feel as nervous around him as I used to but this whole making out thing is still new to me and after last night..

A part of me wonders what he thinks of all of this. Is it just a fling to him while he's here? Am I just his entertainment? Given his reputation with girls, logic leads me to that but I still have no idea what to think. If this is just a game to him, to see how quick I'll give it up to him - well then he's sadly mistaken.

I place my palms against his chest just as his index and middle finger poke into the band of my jeans.

"Martin.."

"Hmmh," he replies breathily, his eyelids fluttering open and then closed before nuzzling further into the crook of my neck. His fingers move to my jeans zipper, slowly unfastening the button.

I push harder against his chest.

"What?" he says, dragging his head up to meet my eyes, his own grey ones hooded, framed by eyelashes that are too long for a boy but perfect on him.

My eyes roam down to his lips, their color a swollen pink. He notices and a smirk immediately surfaces. He leans in but I move my head to the side quickly and the kiss lands awkwardly on my jaw.

"What's wrong?" Martin asks, the grey depths in his eyes are still cloudy.

"I should've done this a long time ago. We need to talk-"

"That's never a good thing," he interrupts me in a blunt tone, his eyes hardening to a cold dull grey. It's familiar, it's how I'm used to seeing them.

Martin uses the hand he's used to prop himself up to push himself off me. I move my legs and he sits up, kicking his shoes to the side. I scowl under my breath as the expensive Nike sole makes a black scuff mark on the pale wooden floor.

"Talk," he snaps, leaning forward, his elbows on his legs. He stares straight ahead at the blank tv screen as if it's on and I'm not in the room.

I can't help but be surprised, yet again, by how quickly his mood can change.

I cross my legs on the couch, grabbing a pillow off the floor to rest my elbows on. I find myself rubbing my palm again with my thumb. I'm nervous but I shouldn't be. I take a deep breath and say a small mental prayer that this doesn't end up being one huge fight, as it always does when Martin and I are around each other for too long.

"This.. thing that's happening. Like last night. I just.. I don't know what to make of it, I- I just want to make sure that.. This isn't like a fling or something to you because I mean, I don't see it like that or like anything more than us being friends.. I mean, are we friends though? Because you don't seem like the friend type, I'm not saying you don't have friends, I'm just saying you're not always that friendly to me and I was wondering what you think of all of this because I'm pretty sure you've been with tons of girls before and I don't want to be just another one on your tally of girls or something, you know? Do you even like me? But how would I know, your moods are like the weather. That's really annoying, Martin, I think you need to fix that. I mean look at you now, you're just sitting there probably thinking about how much you despise me. I get it though, maybe you do because I'm annoying, like you always so eloquently point out. So what I'm trying to say here is.. Why are we always making out and then fighting and then doing other stuff.. in the same be- okay nevermind. You don't have to answer me. I'm sorry, oh my God, I'm such an idiot, I-"