Chapter 23

I heard my own deep breathing as I lay low. Shifting nervously, I kept my eye on the exit that Ian had to go through to get to the parking lot. From the sound of his conversation, he was leaving. But the question was—why was he leaving? Who was he going to see?

        Before I could even process any of this information in my head, Ian came storming around the corner, marching towards the direction of his car. I ducked my head down behind the vehicle I was hiding, watching him ripping the door of his truck open. I didn’t even have time to blink before he slammed the door so hard, it almost shook the ground.

        Hearing the sounds of tires screeching against dry payment, he raced out of the parking lot, turning left. When he was a bit down the road, I saw my cousin’s van pulling up. The side door opened before the car came to full stop. I didn’t even have to look down to know they had texted me already.

        Making sure no one was watching us, I dashed towards their car, before jumping into the backseat. Shutting the car door, they followed after Ian.

        “Tell me why we’re chasing after him again?” No matter how much I wanted to know why he suddenly turned berserk, I rather much not go near him right now.

        “Ian just became our number one suspect,” Skylar answered since Demitri was too busy trying to keep up with Ian—but also far enough he wouldn’t see us. “We need to follow him to see where he’s going. We can’t take what he’d said lightly.”

        “Do you really think he’s the murderer now? He’s too sweet to be him . . .” My sentence drifted off, thinking back to only moments before. He certainly didn’t sound sane then.

        “Sweet or not,” Skylar spoke, glancing at me. “He’s on our list.” I bit my lips, knowing that Skylar was right. They were all suspects, and could easily be fooling everyone. Even Bradlee . . . My eyes dimmed, as I fumbled with my fingers. Get it together Lily. You can’t like him—no matter how much he makes your heart race. 

        “Okay.” I nodded, pushing that thought to the back of my head. This wasn’t the time to think about this. “What do you need me to do?”

        “Once we get there,” he instructed, “we need you to sneak out of the van, and follow him. Get close enough but not too close where he’ll see you. We need to record this conversation, so bring this.” He tossed me a device, small enough to be an ear-piece.

        “Got it.” I stuck the device in my pocket, before I looked out the window, seeing Ian’s truck slowing down. Demitri made sure to turn into the opposite direction once he knew Ian's final destination. 

        Parking the car on the side of the road, Demitri cranked his neck around. “If you do happen to get caught—” I frowned. Only he would think that. “—just act like you’re visiting someone or something. Do not under any circumstances give us away.”

        I rolled my eyes. Like I didn’t know that already. “Yes, sir.”

        Before he could comment on my sarcastic tone, I ran out, shutting the door behind me. Checking my phone, I set a timer, making sure I’ll get back in time. If I skip class, there’s no telling what would happen. Texting Megan, I asked her to cover for me. I didn’t need anyone knowing where I’d gone.

        Looking both ways, I ran down the street in search of Ian’s dark blue truck. When I saw it parked at the end of the block, I slowly walked down the pathway, making sure to take extra caution. When I got close enough, I saw a stone sign saying, Welcome to Monroe High.