Chapter 39

I'm fucking watching you . . .

Adrenaline coursed through my system as I stared at the words that made my heart pound a million miles a minute. As the seconds ticked by, I could feel my blood pressure rising, meeting the continuous hammering in my chest.

I'm always watching you . . .

The words repeated in my head, as I stood there, paralyzed with absolute terror. Just who the hell was this guy? I knew for a fact that Hunter was with Megan, so there's no way he was anywhere near me. The only people 'watching' me was my cousin Skylar and Bradlee . . . even the security guard that was placed around the corner wasn't watching me. So, how the fuck was he supposedly watching me? H-he has to be lying. Unless . . . My eyes rounded. No way—the cameras.

My hands clenched around the note, eyeing the nearest camera warily. Sweat began to roll down the side of my face when I saw the camera following me. I sucked in a breath, when fear consumed every cell of my body.

"Avery," Bradlee whispered quietly. My body froze, almost forgetting he was directly behind me. "Don't worry, I'm here." His arms went around my waist, holding me still against his firm chest. His soft, yet strong hand covered my own, before he carefully removed the note from me, and dropped it on top of my books. I sighed contently, relaxing when his arms wrapped around my body once again, holding me close to him. "I'll protect you with my life."

"Bradlee—"

"—shh, your cousin is coming," he mumbled under his breath, before reluctantly letting go of me. Hearing someone clearing their throat behind us, my cheeks heated up in embarrassment. I turned around slowly seeing Skylar with a frown on his face, his heated stare watching Bradlee, carefully.

His gaze softened quickly when his eyes met mine. "Are you alright, Avery?" he asked.

I nodded. "I-I think so. But the killer—"

"—we saw the note." His eyes flickered over to the camera disguised as a pin that was hooked on my blazer. "But, we still can't figure out how he's able to get in and out without anyone seeing him."

"He said he's watching me . . ." My hands clammed up just thinking about it. "Do you think he's using the school's cameras for his own personal pleasures?"

Bradlee made a noise of distaste, moving his body closer towards mine, guarding me like a shield. I smiled secretly at this.

"Impossible," Skylar ruled out. "I highly doubt a low life serial killer can hack through our database."

"T-then how is he doing it?" I asked, watching his eyebrows scrunched up in thought. He looked as lost as I did. "How is he able to get past you guys?"

"We don't know," he said with a sigh. "But, in the meantime."—He faced Bradlee.—"Please take Avery to her next class while I go see if the guys captured anything on film, and—" He paused, grabbing the note from my locker with his glove covered hand. "—take this back for evidence."

Bradlee lowered his head at Skylar, before Skylar left in a rush. Once we were alone, Bradlee immediately took my hand in his, squeezing it lightly. I smiled up at him, before leaning my head against his shoulder. It was times like these that I was happy Bradlee was on my side. His overall presence was comforting, and right now being next to him, felt safe.

"Av." His voice was low, with an agreeable amount of huskiness.

"Y-yeah?" I lifted my head up to look at him.

"I—" he started to say, before he shook his head. Closing his mouth, he let go of me. "Never mind. It's nothing important."

I stared up at him in confusion. "You sure?"