Chapter 29

Banner made by @Mellisadsouza (:

***

You're a fucking liar Lily, and I will expose you.

My breath quickened, feeling the sudden bloom of heat across my face. Hearing the pounding of my heart, I felt my chest tightening up making it harder and harder to breath. Taking deep shallow breaths, my vision started to blur, as the world around me started to spin.

Feeling the cold metal on my bare hands, my back touched the cool surface, leaning against it for support.

Seeing the movement of a shadow in the corner of my eye, my breath hitched before I saw Skylar's face. Visibly relaxing at the sight of him, his eyes shone with worry, glancing at me with concern.

"Are you okay?" he spoke softly.

"H-he-message-again," I spluttered, while pointing at my phone. It didn't take long for understanding to cross his face, before he took my phone from my grasp. His eyes soon mirrored mine, as they flashed with fear before they suddenly turned into anger.

"It's definitely Hunter," Skylar said looking dead at me. "I saw him taking his phone out just a second ago before he left."

"But I have Hunter's number," I said confidently this time. I wasn't sure why I was defending Hunter, but I was positive it wasn't him. No one can fake that amount of sincerity.

"It's a burner phone. Even if you have his number, it'll show up as unknown."

"Even so, that's totally unlike him—"

"—Remember how he acted when you first met him?" Skylar pointed out, shutting me up. "Maybe he's been acting all along?"

"I-I-I don't know what to say to that. . ." I was completely torn. Skylar was right. The way he acted when we first met was completely different from the way he's acting now. But then again . . . he did say he was having a bad day. Was he lying about that too?

"You don't have to say anything. We'll find out for sure on Monday," he reassured me, the corner of his eyes crinkling. "Until then, let's just hope he doesn't go through with his plan."

"What if he does?" I asked nervously. "What if he expose me? I'll have to leave if he does . . ."

"At this point, it's okay if you leave. We already have DNA and fingerprint samples from both Bradlee and Ian. We just need the results," Skylar said, patting my back. "We just have to keep you safe until then."

"But what if the results comes back negative for Bradlee and Ian? We still need evidence that it's Hunter."

"Don't worry, Avery." He smiled. "When the time comes we'll figure that out. But until then you need to get back to class before Megan starts freaking out."

The corners of my mouth lifted up into a smile, as I pictured Megan screaming bloody murder in the hallway. "Yeah, you're right." I nodded. "And you better go back to mopping floors before someone see you talking to me," I said jokingly.

"Oh don't worry about me." He chuckled. "I'm just glad you're okay."

"I'm fine now." I gave him a closed-mouth smile. "Thanks cousin of mine."

His lips stretched out into a full-blown smile. "You finally admitted we're related."

"I admitted it a long time ago, just never out loud." I laughed. "Anyways, we should go before the bell rings."

He agreed, tagging along. Keeping a safe distance behind me, he kept his head down, while watching me carefully. As I headed back to Mr. Meyer's classroom, students started piling out one by one before I saw Kasey eyeing me.