Chapter 14

I didn’t even had time to blink before Bradlee broke our eye contact, and twisted his body away from us. His shoulders were still hunched over as he suddenly got up and made a big leap of the bleachers.

        “That’s strange,” Hunter said, “usually he’s not that anti-social.”

        I nodded, even though I wasn’t really paying attention to what he was saying. My eyes were still focused on Bradlee, as he made his way around our school building, his figure disappearing completely soon after. If I had to guess, he’s probably making his way towards the parking lot right now. And knowing him, he’s probably going to be skipping the rest of his classes. And for some odd reason as I continued to stare at the spot he’d last been, I couldn’t help but feel disappointed I wouldn’t be seeing him during Study Hall today. I was actually looking forward to seeing him again . . .

        “Earth to Avery!” Megan’s high-pitched voice rang, as I heard the snap of her fingers near my face.

        “What?!”

        She pulled her lips into a thin line at my tone. “I know he’s hot and everything, but seriously, we need to start heading back soon.”

        Feeling the familiar heat on the back of my neck, I bit my bottom lip at a lost for words. Especially with Hunter staring at me with a weird indescribable look in his eyes.

        “Please,” I heard Ian’s voice say. “He’s not that hot.”

        Suddenly, five pairs of eyes all snapped up at once, as we directed our attention at Ian. When he felt our stares, he stopped chewing mid-bite. His head slowly looked up, the smile still placed on his face.  

        “What?” His tone was slightly confused. “I’m just stating the truth.” He shrugged his shoulders as he finished off the last bit of his chicken nuggets. “And before you guys all ask, I’m not gay.”

        “We weren’t thinking that . . .” Annemarie spoke, her tone suggesting otherwise as I saw Asher’s clearly dimmed eyes at Ian’s choice of words.

        “It’s okay if you were!” He grinned. “But don’t worry!” He pointed to himself, “I like the ladies’ parts.”

        “Oh my gosh, you did not just say that!” Annemarie exclaimed, as Megan and Hunter held in their laughter, their faces turning a shade of red. They looked like they were about to burst out laughing.

        “What?” Ian grinned. “You’re lucky I didn’t say I like boobies.” He gasped a second later, covering his mouth. “Oops, too late.” He winked, throwing his backpack over his shoulder. Once the straps were secured on his shoulder blades, he stood up with his tray in hand. “Now, I don’t know about you guys, but I’m outta here. Don’t want to be late!” He gave us all a quick wave before he started skipping down the pathway towards the back entrance, all while singing, “I love girls. They’re so pretty. Brown hair, and brown eyes. They’re like angels in disguise.”