Chapter 2

Cover to the right is made by Kateholand :)

NOT EDITED

***

“Don’t be afraid,” the guy in front of me said in a surprisingly calming tone. “You’re not in trouble, if that’s what you’re thinking.” He chuckled, causing me to raise an eyebrow at him. Looking at him closely now, he seemed to be about twenty-five years old. He had one of those mature kind of faces but at the same time you could tell he was young by his kind blue eyes, and the wrinkle free-face.

      “I’m guessing by that ‘oh-shit’ expression on your face earlier, you’re Lily Avery Ace,” he said with a close-mouth smile when I didn’t respond back. By now, he probably thought I was some kind of an idiot, just staring at him. But could you blame me? What do you even say when two guys that could literally hurt you with a snap of their fingers show up on your doorsteps asking for you? Even though they appeared to be friendly, I couldn’t let my guard down just yet.

      “How do you even know my full name!?” was my clever comeback to his statement. Only close family members knew my middle name; I made sure the media didn’t know me as Lily Avery Ace. Then again they refer to me as ‘the face’, or the ‘cutest child star ever’. Sadly they still call me that even though I’m seventeen and had already left the entertainment world.

      “Wow, I’m hurt. You don’t even recognize your own cousins,” the second guy said, finally making direct eye contact with me. His soft grey eyes were filled with fake-pain, and amusement; though I wasn’t sure for what. If he thought this situation was funny, he has another thing coming to him.

      “Cousins? You’re joking right?”

      “Why would we joke about that?” he all but asked, stepping forward, his six foot five frame, towering over my short five foot five frame. “We’re from your mother’s side of the family,” he explained, pointing to his partner then back to himself.

      “Distant but we’re still family,” he added afterwards.

     “Prove it.” I stubbornly crossed my arms, as I watched them look at each other in thought before turning back around, opening their mouths to respond simultaneously.

     “Lily, who’s at the door?” I heard my dad’s voice asked, cutting off what they were about to say. Listening to the quiet footsteps get louder and louder, I knew he was getting close. By the sound of his voice, he had most likely just woken up, wanting some breakfast or something. Instead his face is probably in a thin line, looking absolutely confused, just like all of the other times when we had unannounced visitors.

      “That was your dad’s voice,” the first guy stated. I nodded not knowing what else to say. Either they were telling the truth about being my cousins, or it was just a lucky guess.

      Feeling my dad’s presence behind me, I all but heard him gasped, before I was pulled inside, behind him. Looking at my dad, he was around the same height as those two guys, and even though he was in his late fifties, he was still pretty well off—youth wise. Sure if you look at him, you could tell he wasn’t the youngest guy out there, but he still didn’t look like he was in his fifties. He could still very well pass for someone in their early forties, and he could still kick some butt if he wanted to.