Chapter 46

It took us nearly an hour to get to our designated place. Besides the fact that the house was located in the middle of nowhere—nothing seemed odd about it. It wasn't some broken down abandoned building you would see in those typical cliché movies—instead it was well lavished with stained glass windows and artificial green grass. The building stood at two-stories high, with intricate carvings marked neatly into the sides of the walls.

If I didn't know a bloodthirsty killer was inside the house, I would've appreciated the grandeur more closely.

"Are you ready?" Demitri asked, while he twisted his body around to look at me.

I sucked in a big gulp of air, trying to calm down my nerves. "As ready as I'll ever be."

"Just breath, Lily. You're going to be fine," he assured me for the billionth time in the last hour. "Just remember our goal."

"I know. Retrieve Bradlee and Ashleigh, and get out of there safely."

"Correct." Both Skylar and Demitri smiled at me. "We're going to be right behind you, so don't worry."

I pulled at my bottom lip. "Are you sure this plan of yours is going to work?" I asked Demitri. "I mean what if Asher catches on and you can't get a clear shot of him—"

"—Listen, Lily. Would you rather have us near you, or go in there while we stay in the van?" I opened my mouth to say something when he held up a finger, silencing me. "You're smart enough to know that following the criminal's orders never ends up well. He wants you to come alone, so he won't be outnumbered, Lily. He's using your fears to manipulate you."

"I know that, but what if he actually goes through with—"

"—that's why we have backups. We told you before, no one will harm you, or our family, got it?"

I couldn't help but grin when he said our family. "Okay."

"Okay?" they asked.

"Okay," I repeated with a smile.

"Now that we have that established," Al said, facing towards me. "Here."

"What's that?" I asked, looking at the paper bag.

"A bulletproof vest." He took out a dark vest from the plastic bag, and dropped the article of clothing in my lap. "You know, just in case if something happens and we can't get there in time."

"Thanks." I tried smiling, but I knew the possibility of that happening was very high. After an hour of debating, we finally came to a conclusion. Al, Skylar, and Demitri was to follow me, and stay hidden around the perimeters of the house. Once, I get Asher and Annemarie to open the door, they were going to use a tranquilizer gun on them. "Do you guys all have this?" I asked them.

"Of course," Skylar answered. "You never know where danger might lurk."

I lowered my head, agreeing with him. Moving the vest aside, I took off my winter coat. Throwing the vest over my sweater, I pulled the zipper up, securing it. Throwing my jacket back on, I made sure the camera pinned to my jacket was still there. Tapping the wireless piece in my ear, I cleared my throat, mumbling a soft, 'hello'.

Skylar gave me a thumbs up, pointing at his own earpiece. "You're good. Just be in position where we can see you."

"Will do."

"Okay everyone, get ready," Demitri announced, holding the gun in his hand. "It's time we take down these guys once and for all."

We looked at each other a final time before we headed off to our designated spots. Just wait a little bit longer. I'm coming for you Bradlee.