Chapter 38

"Don't forget your exam is on Friday, and it covers chapters ten through fourteen," Mr. Meyer announced as everyone gathered up their stuff to leave. "It's your last exam before winter break, so make sure to study hard for it. It counts for twenty percent of your final grade." Hearing a chorus of groans, I smiled. Despite everyone's distaste, I was actually happy. School was normal; an exam was normal. And right now, with everything going on, normal sounded nice—welcoming.

"Is everything okay?" Bradlee whispered, making sure his back was turned away from our lingering classmates.

My hand paused in mid-reach for my bag. "Everything's fine."

"Are you sure? You'd been quiet after getting that text from your cousin . . ."

"I was—" I paused, not knowing what to say. Bradlee knew he was involved but I doubt he knew his brother was also a suspect, nevertheless the possible killer now. "I was, um—just thinking."

His eyebrows dipped in thought. "Thinking? About what?"

"About the killer. Who he is . . ."

"Av, what exactly did your cousins tell you—"

"—sorry to interrupt you guys, but ah . . . Bradlee, I have something to say to you," a new voice said from behind. I let out an audible gasp when I saw the familiar face fidgeting with the ends of his shirt. My eyes narrowed into slits seeing Kasey, before pushing Bradlee behind me.

"What do you want Kasey?" I spat.

He visibly flinched at my tone. "To apologize," he mumbled quietly under his breath.

I blinked. "W-what?"

He sighed. "Listen . . ." he started out nervously, as I looked at him cautiously. "This past weekend, I saw messages my brother sent to his friends, and I ah . . . read that you protected him when you saw a group of people beating him up that one time. I-I just want to say sorry for everything I'd said to you. I honestly didn't know." His light emerald eyes clouded over with remorse as they gazed over at Bradlee. "When I saw him beaten to a pulp, I automatically assumed you did it, since you were the only one around, and when he didn't say anything, I thought maybe you'd threatened him." He hung his head low. "I guess what I'm trying to say is, I'm sorry for everything I'd said to you," he apologized, before turning his head towards me. "And Avery, I'm sorry I lashed out at you before. You didn't deserve being treated like that. I was angry, and I was trying to protect him as his older brother. I just—"

"—say no more." I stopped him. "I have two older siblings, so I know exactly what you're trying to say. If my brother saw anything remotely what you saw, he probably would've ended up in jail for doing something irrational. He's really protective like that."

Kasey's smile widened instantly at my words. "Thank you for understanding Avery." He looked back at Bradlee who was staring back at Kasey in silence. "I know I don't deserve it, and I probably won't get an answer from you, but I hope someday, you'll forgive me."

When Bradlee didn't say anything, Kasey stood solemnly before he started to leave. Before I could stop him, a voice called out his name from behind. Kasey paused, unsure if he heard right. I stood, shellshocked as well. D-did he—just talked to someone in school? Turning around slowly, I looked up to see Bradlee smiling nervously at Kasey, as the corner of his eyes twitched involuntarily. Was this really happening? Was Bradlee actually talking to someone from our school?

"Thanks for apologizing," he spoke after a deep breath, causing Kasey to gasp at him some more.

"Y-you actually—am I dreaming?" Kasey managed to get out. "You're actually forgiving me?"