Chapter 21

I literally couldn’t breathe. I literally couldn’t move. All I could do was stare after Bradlee. The way he moved, the way he walked, and even the way he swung his legs over his motorcycle was hypnotic to the eye, and I didn’t understand why. Was it the lighting? The mood? Or maybe it was just my emotions running wild?

        Getting rid of that thought in my head—knowing that I needed to stop thinking about him, I saw my cousin’s van pulling up slowly down the road as they parked next to the curb, stopping a second later. Seeing the window rolled down a crack, Demitri ushered me to hurry up. Obeying, I ran towards their car as quickly as I could wanting nothing but to get out of this freezing weather. Once I was close enough, I could make out the huge smiles on their faces. If I didn’t know any better, they were way too overly joyful about something. And that something most likely meant me hanging out with Bradlee tonight.

         Pulling the door opened, I climbed into the back seat, shutting the door. Leaning forward, I eyed them suspiciously. “What?”  

        They glanced at each other before looking at me. “We got Bradlee’s number.”

        My eyebrow arched down in confusion. That’s it? That’s what they’re happy about.  “And?”

        “And, we can track his movements now,” Skylar said waving an old fashion model phone in his hand. Eyeing the phone a bit closer, I noticed it was one of those burner phones. The ones that keep your personal number private.

        “Now you just need Ian’s number.” Demitri smiled. “Make sure to get it on Monday.”

        I nodded, not exactly in the mood to argue with him. Demitri’s smile widened even further before he turned around, and told Skylar to floor it. Once we were back on the road, I slowly took out my phone. Running my hand over the screen, I debated if I should turn it on or not. After going through the pros and cons, I decided to turn it on and get it over with.

        When the screen loaded, I saw the thirty missed calls, the fifty text messages, and the twenty-five voice messages. I rolled my eyes when I saw the name that once made my heart fluttered, and skip a beat. But now all I saw was rage and disappointment. Disappointment that I didn’t see this sooner; that I didn’t listen to Megan. She was right. John was right. Heck, everyone was right.

        My eyes cut, deleting everything that once had to do with Dennis. The pictures, his number, our anniversary date, and every single one of his messages he’d left me. Once I was done, I locked my phone, shoving it back inside my pocket, pushing him back to the back of my mind. Even though it’s going to take time, I will forget about him. I will stop loving him, and I will move on once and for all, even if it takes me years.

***

As soon as I stepped foot into Woodway Prep on Monday morning I was greeted by a loud screech. I barely had time to register what was happening before I was engulfed into a pair of strong arms. Getting a whiff of cinnamon, I awkwardly stood there, lightly patting his back as my arms dangled on his sides.