Mr. Aizawa | Chpt 87

Hello.

(Y/n)'s POV

"So Chouka has been seeing a neurologist," Tsukauchi began. I felt Kacchan take my hand, curling his fingers around mine. "Because they wanted to see what was inducing the memory loss, they had a few different scans and such of her brain."

"Are there any files?" Aizawa said. Tsukauchi nodded, handing a thin folder to him. I could tell there were a few pictures of Chouka's brain scan. I watched oddly as Nezu, crawled to seat himself in Aizawa-sensei's scarf. He, too, wanted to see the file.

"So what they found was she has quite a few pinched connections in her hippocampus. That's circled there, and it's the part of the brain that deals with short term and long term memory. The amygdala near there has a few pinched neurons too, which connects emotions to memory like fear, love, etc. It's obvious she's experiencing her symptoms and behaving the way she is due to the pinched and dead connections. Her neurons aren't firing and the ones that do, the synapses are leading to this violent behavior."

"Why?" I glanced towards Kacchan.

"Well it's obvious that she associates you in her memory somewhere and the damage to her brain is causing issues. On a base level, she appears to struggle mentally. She'll see a therapist to figure out what that base mental illness is. The neurological damage on top of that is what's causing this. The only issue is we have no idea why her neurons are damaged or getting pinched."

"What are the possible ways that could happen?"

"Well, we see that sometimes with overpowering quirks. As the quirks are developing, the changes to the body can shift negatively. We've deemed that isn't the problem because this injury is very recent. I don't particularly see how hitting her head could cause pinching. It's a mystery right now," Tsukauchi said.

"So...is that why she changed so quickly? She was very nice in school and because of whatever happened she's acting this way?" I asked.

"Yes, (y/n)," Tsukauchi replied. Kacchan took the file and held it between us. You could clearly see the difference in that piece of her brain, much darker in activity than the others. "The strangest thing is we found a small cluster of these dead or dying neurons in her motor cortex. While these neurons appear to have been dying for a while, which lead to her decline and violent behavior, she's also experiencing difficulties in her motor function. Just recently she expressed that she was feeling tingling in her arm. It wasn't a stroke, which would make sense as to what was happening in her brain, but it was just these dying connections in her brain. She showed struggle using her wings as well. There seems to be a lot of damage with memory but there's a small piece in her motor cortex. It's quite the anomaly. We've got no idea what we're dealing with here."

I felt guilt overtake me for talking so badly about her when she couldn't help it. At least she was getting the best help she could now.

"We've talked to her parents and they've agree to place her under intensive watch in a care facility," Tsukauchi said. "I'll be borrowing the school counselor once a week. I think Chouka would benefit since she's in your age range and I've heard the counselor here has dealt with many mental illness cases, specifically addiction patients and family cases. I think it will be really good for Chouka, considering her relationships are jeopardized by all that's going on."

"Well! It seems as though the main threat has been detained, though the school remains to be seen as something unsafe. You two may leave together, but your relationship must be kept a secret here," Nezu said, hopping from Aizawa's shoulder to the desk and then the floor. I slipped my hand away from Kacchan's tucking it tightly between my knees. He was wearing a quaint smile that made me uneasy. Maybe that was because he had been badmouthing me left and right.