chapter 25

She sat on a flat rock under a great banyan tree. The banyan tree had a large number of red threads around it.

Normally couples and families comes here to seek the blessings from Vaibhavi devi, before marriage. They believe that she would save them from bad relationships. Love affairs were still a terror to the old generation of this Vaibhavi's village.

Vaibhavi devi hated love affairs. Falling in love before marriage was considered to a crime in the village among the elders. They believed, Vaibhavi devi cursed the couples who fell in love against their families will and got married. This was a strong belief in the village. For outsides it was silly and they laughed at it. But, the people lived there were always afraid of Vaibhavi devi.

Shehnaaz was always curious to know about Vaibhavi devi in her childhood. One day she came here with Meenakshi auty and she told her the story of Vaibhavi Devi.

Vaibhavi devi was a very beautiful lady from the royal family. Every men in the village dreamed about her. But she was so beautiful and bold that no one had the courage to question her. One day a man from southern village came here. He was a magician. He made everyone laugh and made fall for his tricks.

Vaibhavi devi was also very curious about the new magician and his tricks. She started to spend time with him to learn more magic tricks from him. Slowly she fell in love with him.

Unfortunately, later she found out that he was a black magician, who came to destroy the village. So, she killed him and buried him at the place where the tree stand. She planted the tree in front of villagers and promised that after her death, her soul will live in the tree.

While everyone believed that story, Shehnaaz didn't wanted to believe it. She asked innocently.

Why did she chose to live in the tree after the death, she hates him na??

Meenakshi, who was stroking her hair replied.

Child, because she wanted save the village from his evil eyes.

The little Shehnaaz wasn't happy with the answer.

So, she married someone else?

No!  She remained single to save her people. She was the only child of the royal family and it ended it with her for the village.

Meenakshi was an elderly woman, around her nanu's age. She was the wife of her nanu's best friend. Her husband died at an early age and she was living alone. She liked Shehnaaz very much as Shehnaaz was always curious to hear stories from her.

Whenever Shehnaaz came to the village, she always spend time around Meenakshi and the banyan tree.

When Shehnaaz was a teenager, she saw an old man lying near the banyan tree. She was scared looking at him. But she slowly went near him and gave him some chocolates that she always carried with her. He smiled at her and asked her to sit next to him. She hesitantly sat on a flat rock near him. He was too old, may be around 100 yrs. He was trembling while speaking because of ageing.

The story he told about Vaibhavi was a different from what she had heard till now. He told her that, he was the servant in the royal mansion.

Vaibhavi considered him as her younger brother as he was too younger than her. He used to go everywhere with her. He was the only witness of the love of Vaibhavi and Kripan, the magician. They both loved each other a lot. But, her family was against her love and they killed Kripan and buried him there. When Vaibhavi came to know about it, she ran to there and cried a lot. People gathered around them seeing her like that. Then, she planted the tree and said her soul will be always here. He didn't speak about it when Vaibhavi was alive, because her family members locked her in a room and he was scared that they will do something with her. After her death he told it to many people, but they all said that he was mad.

Shehnaaz got shocked by the new revelation. She ran towards Meenakshi and said what she heard from the old man.

Meenakshi laughed at her and said.

Sana, he is mad. Yes, he was a servant over there and was Vaibhavi's favourite too. But, he had gone mad after her death. And he started telling these kinds of stories to everyone. So her family members locked him in room and treated him. But he remained same. Now, he has no one. People give food and clothes to him because he was Vaibhavi's servant. Don't think about all these things, child. Go and play with the children.

Even though Meenakshi told her not to think about it. Her all thoughts were around Vaibhavi and Kripan. That day she wrote the story.

Sitting on the rock she remembered about her conversation with Sidharth last week, the day before she arrived in the village.

So, you say that your family also believes in this superstition?

He asked resting his head on her lap. She was gently stroking his hair. He had thought that it was just a story when he read that. But, it seemed to be something beyond.

Nanu still believes, I think. Lekin dad, he is not superstitious. Mom also agrees to whatever dad says.

She said while flipping the page of the novel and placed her hand back on his hair.

Sidharth thought for a second and asked.

Tho wo log hamare shaadi keliye maanenge, kya?

Shehnaaz kept the book aside and smirked.

Shaadi? Aur hum???

He jerked from her lap and sat straight on the bed next to her.

Tho bhir kya?  Live in karna hei?

He said in a husky voice and held her neck to bring her close him. She pushed him on to the bed.

You don't even know how to confess it properly and you wanna marry me?? Baaki ladkom se kuch seek tu pehle, ki kaise propose karte hei... Aaya bada...

She teased him controlling her laughter. He didn't wait. He pulled her to him and she too fall on the bed and he came over her.

If you want I have a better idea to propose. You know?

He whispered in a husky voice while tracing his fingers through her face and followed to neck.

Kutta!

She giggled and tried to push him. But he was determined to propose her in his on way. He slowly pulled the duvet over them as he captured her lips in his.

..

She blushed harder remembering about him.

He was right. This place motivated her to write more about Vaibhavi and Kripan. She continued writing about the first meeting of Vaibhavi and Kripan.

================================

Please vote comment and share.