Chapter One

CHAPTER ONE

CHAPTER ONE

For most the arrival of March brought about a profound change in the air. A fresh start that came with the beginning of every passing season, natural changes occurring everywhere, life and death. It all came as another season arrived. However, in Forks, Washington it always seemed like either the concept of seasons had skipped over the rainy town altogether beside one, or the town refused to bend to the season system that was accepted all over the world. Whatever the reason, an obvious change in seasons was non-existent, leaving only the constant cycle of rain, wind, cloud and fog. 

The seasons, as Forks' residents continued their endless march through the year, refused to change. A sunny day or even a day where there wasn't at least one shower of rain was a rare occurrence, one that was always welcomed with open arms. 

Eleanora Hadley was never a big fan of change, but a long-time lover of the rain. For a seventeen-year-old who had had her life completely altered multiple times Forks, Washington was the best place for her. The light pitter-patter of the rain on the Hadley family home roof never failed to soothe her, lulling her gently into sleep. But even the rain couldn't shroud the days when all she wanted to do was give up. Those days terrified her, just as much as they did to her mum. 

"When is the troll coming back?" Eleanora asked, staring into her cereal bowl, the reflections of the kitchen lights above her floating between soggy flakes, shuddering with each movement. 

"Ellie! What have I told you about using that nickname for your brother?"

"Only speaking the truth, Mum. To be fair it's the only name that describes him perfectly. Surely, you have to agree with that." Ellie retorted, avoiding the sharp glare her mum shot back at her. 

"I think Elijah should be back this weekend. He wants some time in Forks before his college semester goes back."

"More like to steal more money to pay petrol for that gaudy car." Ellie continued, meeting her mother's exasperated gaze. "What? You know it's true. He completely screws you over with every visit and you let it happen." 

"Ellie. . ." Allison Hadley breathed, considering her next words carefully. "Your brother just needs some time to get back onto his feet, and we need to help him until he gets there."

"He's been out of school for nearly two years by now, Mum. He hardly goes to college, his grades are practically non-existent and he doesn't have a job. He doesn't even fall asleep eight times a day, who knows what he is doing with all that extra time?"

"I really shouldn't be talking to you about this." Allison sighed, pressing her fingertips against her temples. 

"Yet we continue to have the same conversation over and over." Ellie mused quietly.