Chapter Thirty-Eight

CHAPTER THIRTY-EIGHT

Ellie Hadley threw her head back in laughter at the story she had just been woken up to, an intriguing story that Brandon Taylor had been telling his sister and her best friend on the way to school about his dream the previous night. The ending line with limited context 'and then he died' had Ellie in stitches. 

"El, didn't hear any of that and she is still laughing this hard." Sydney started with a grin turning around to her brother. 

"Ever thought of pursuing comedy as a career?" Ellie finished, her eyes falling to a familar figure standing outside Forks High School. 

She racked her brain for reasons why Jacob Black would be standing in the parking lot of Forks High School. Although she didn't have all the details it didn't take much to work out that whatever his reasoning it would have something to do with Bella. Ellie cast her eyes away from Jacob turning back to the Taylor siblings who were still chuckling at the joke. 

"You guys will have to excuse me for a second, I'll be back." Ellie added, hopping out of the car and heading over to where Jacob Black stood. 

"I don't want to hear another thing about how you find it hard to make friends, Eleanora!" Sydney called behind her. "I've never seen you make more friends than you have in the last year or so. You are even making friends from outside of school, geez." 

"About time you showed your ugly face around here again." Ellie remarked as she stood in front of the wolf. "Although I feel like I must point out that you are always hanging around and yet you don't even go here."

"Hey, El." Jacob greeted, pulling the brunette into a brief hug. "Good to see you." 

"You too," Ellie returned. "What are you doing here?" 

"To see a friend." 

"And I'm assuming that I am not such friend." Ellie remarked. "You are here to see Bella. She isn't going to be happy nor am I bursting with joy either. You can't exactly pretend that Bella doesn't even exist then show up expecting everything to be normal again." 

"What makes you say that?" Jacob asked, before his gaze was soon transfixed on something behind her. 

"Well, that for one." Ellie mused watching as Bella and Edward started to walk towards them. The Swan shooting Ellie a wide smile before turning to her wolf friend. 

"Charlie said you left town." Jacob started. 

"Yeah, to visit my Mom. Why?" Bella asked. 

"He's checking to see if you're still human." Edward answered with an amused smirk, scuffing his shoes lightly on the pavement. 

"Look, I'm here to warn you. If your kind come on our land again. . . "

"Wait, what?" Bella asked as Ellie narrowed her eyes slightly. 

"You didn't tell them?" Jacob asked. 

"Tell us what?" Bella and Ellie asked in unison. 

"Emmett and Paul had a misunderstanding. There's nothing to worry about." Edward explained, as Ellie raised an eyebrow, knowing that there was more to the story than such a simple explanation but knew not to pry much deeper. 

"Listen to you, did you lie to get her out of town?" Jacob asked, looking over to Edward. 

"Just leave. Now." Edward demanded loudly through clenched teeth. 

"She has a right to know. She's the one the red head wants." Jacob returned. 

"Victoria?" Bella asked, looking over to Edward. "Alice's vision."

"I was trying to protect you." Edward started. 

"By lying to me!" Bella shouted.

"Yes, because that always seems to work." Ellie muttered, glaring pointedly at the vampire as Bella turned to look at Jacob.  

"Why haven't you called me back?" 

"I have nothing to say." Jacob answered, walking over to where his bike stood. 

"Well, I have tons. Hold on." Bella said, going to follow the wolf, Edward immediately moving to stop her. "Edward, you have to trust me."

"I do trust you. It's him I don't trust." Edward returned as Bella climbed onto the back of Jacob's bike, a grin on his face as he looked over to Edward tauntingly. 

"Hey, loose the grin Jacob. We're just going for a ride." Bella added as she wrapped her arms around his waist securely. 

"Hold on tight." Jacob told her, before they sped out of the parking lot. 

"What was that about?" Jasper asked, walking up to where Ellie and Edward were left standing. The two of them turned to Edward waiting for his explanation but the vampire just walked off. 

"Well, I was trying to be friendly. Although Jacob kind of deserves it, if he's going to show up to a school that he doesn't even go to, he's always going to get strange looks." Ellie returned. 

"I was talking about that argument." Jasper added. 

"Oh who knows?" Ellie remarked. "Something about a misunderstanding between Emmett and Paul, which you didn't tell me about by the way." Ellie added, glaring at Jasper playfully. "On top of the usual tension between Edward and Jacob with Bella stuck in the middle as always-" 

"Ellie!" A voice called from across the parking lot interrupting Ellie's explanation. Ellie whipped her head around searching for the source before she finally found it. 

"I think you'll find that Sydney is calling your name, El." Jasper informed the brunette. 

"I was getting there!" Ellie exclaimed slightly offended. "Not all of us have enhanced hearing you know." Ellie added, her eyes falling to her best friend who was waving her backpack around like crazy. 

"Well, don't forget your backpack next time and we won't have this issue. Will we, darling?" Jasper teased. 

"You'd find one way or another." Ellie returned, ignoring her boyfriend's chuckles as she walked across the parking lot to Sydney. 

"Geez, Ellie." Sydney breathed out as she drew near. "I swear are you going deaf or something? I've been screaming your name for the past five minutes." 

"Sorry," Ellie added, catching the backpack that Sydney threw her way flawlessly as the bell rang overhead. 

"And now you've gotten me late. Some best friend you are."

"Oh I know, I'm the greatest."