Chapter Forty-Seven

CHAPTER FORTY-SEVEN

CHAPTER FORTY-SEVEN

Simultaneously there were good and bad things that came with being a vampire. It appeared that Ellie's knowledge of vampires and her time spent with the Cullens did her wonders as she hesitantly stepped into her new life. Within hours it was obvious to Ellie that the other newborns that joined her knew very little of their new identity and everything that came with it. Sticking with the typical myth version of vampires that were afraid of garlic and wooden spikes and that were vulnerable in the sunlight rather than the sparkly version of vampires that Ellie had become accustomed to. 

The lack of need to sleep that she now possessed had done her wonders as well, she had never felt so energised despite being practically frozen in time. The speed and strength were also welcomed in with open arms although she didn't exactly have a need to use them too often. The new diet was less welcome, although she had initially grumbled that she really would never taste proper Italian gelato now, she was struggling. 

Alongside the newborns being little informed in their new way of life, they had immediately taken up the typical human blood diet not knowing any other way. The destruction they left behind was certainly ghastly, the brunette forced to join in at times to keep up appearances. It was easy to see how their efforts were drawing such a storm of media frenzy. But she knew that eventually the threat of the newborn army and Ellie's role apart of it would cease at some point and Ellie would return to Forks, back to her second family. So she had chosen to immediately revert straight to the animal diet, to hopefully make it easier on her in the long run as well as provide a familiar link back to her family of vampires that she was missing more as each day passed. 

In her first tumultuous days of being a vampire, Ellie had even caught a sight of Victoria, the vampire who was after Bella, the true leader of the newborn army and the puzzle pieces immediately fell into place. The army that Ellie was now apart of was the visual representation of her extended revenge plot. She was still eternally grateful that Ellie hadn't attended the baseball game where the Cullens and Bella had first run into James, Victoria and Laurent, or had travelled to Phoenix to confront James. Even her lack of participation in Bella's chance encounter with Laurent had somehow saved Ellie from a greater threat, although Laurent had never delivered the information he found back to Victoria of course.

 It appeared that no one except the Volturi knew of Ellie's true affiliation with the Cullens, because she knew that if Victoria knew of her ties to the very coven she was planning her revenge back, she wouldn't still be undead, she would be really dead. 

Apart from her brief disappearances away from the rest of the newborns avoiding the city and into the nearest forest for a hunt, Ellie tried to stick as close to the rest of the destructive newborns as she possibly could, picking up any information that could potentially help her. 

During the day was when things settled down slightly, the coven of newborns staying away from the sun out of fear, but with little things to occupy themselves with, violence was all too common between the agitated newborns, Ellie stuck as far away from it as she could but she didn't always get her wishes.  

Her sharpened eyesight had easily picked up a confrontation ahead of her between one of the provoked newborns attempting to entice a brunette newborn into a fight, who was tucked between two large garbage bins thrown carelessly in the corner of the abandoned warehouse they were hiding out in. The tiny brunette newborn couldn't have been older than fifteen that was the first thing Ellie noticed, intaking a sharp breath as she thought about the life that she could have had in front of her. The female newborn's plea for him to leave her alone, immediately reaching Ellie's ears as she felt a need to protect this newborn she didn't even know. A similar feeling to what she occasionally felt with Bella when her best friend made another one of her questionable, stupid decisions. 

"She told you to leave her alone," Ellie answered with a raised eyebrow, stepping between the snarling newborn and the tiny brunette behind her. "So I suggest that you should."

The newborn merely snarled at her, attempting to step around her but Ellie moved to block his path. "Did you not hear me? I can repeat myself if you want me to."

"No, I heard you just fine." The newborn replied. "What are you going to do about it?" He taunted. 

Ellie's own crimson eyes met the newborn's, a simple thought 'to just leave them both alone' forming in her head, before the newborn suddenly crumpled to the floor, completely losing control of all his muscles in an instant, his eyes flying shut.

"Oh shit," Ellie muttered, staring down at her hands in wonder. The conversation with Jasper about certain vampires possessing gifts crossing her mind, as she looked down at the newborn still collapsed on the floor, his figure looked too similar to her own when she had been experiencing a cataplexy attack for it to just be a coincidence. 

"Okay, in that case let's try something else," Ellie mumbled, letting the newborn free from whatever hold she had on him, the newborn immediately scrambling away from her, completing her goal. 

"What was that?" The crouched brunette behind her asked. 

"I'm not entirely sure." Ellie returned, her eyes still stuck on the space where the newborn had collapsed as she sat down beside the brunette. 

"Well, whatever it was, thank you." She mumbled in response. 

"No problem. I'm Ellie by the way." 

"Bree." The girl returned. 

"Like the cheese?" Ellie teased only to chuckle at Bree's wide-eyed gaze. "I'm kidding. But it's nice to meet you, Bree."

"You too, Ellie." Bree smiled, looking up at the vampire that had protected her. 

"And don't stress too much with whatever that was, I promise that I'm not going to let anything or anyone harm you," Ellie promised sincerely, the need to protect the brunette crossing her mind once more.