Chapter Thirteen

CHAPTER THIRTEEN

CHAPTER THIRTEEN

Eleanora Hadley sat outside of Forks High School, the warm sun beating down, a rare occurrence in Forks. It seemed that everyone was taking advantage of the brief lapse of nice weather, students playing games in the courtyard or just simply soaking in the sun. 

"He's not here." Jessica started, noticing the way Bella was constantly looking around, noticing the missing Cullens. "Whenever the weather's nice, the Cullens disappear."

Ellie immediately went to hide her smirk, yet another question about vampires joining the long list she was slowly making her way down thanks to Jasper's patience with her neverending questions. But she couldn't help it. She was just curious and needed someone to talk about it with. 

"What do they just ditch?" Bella asked curiously. 

No, Dr and Mrs Cullen yank them out for, like, hiking and camping and stuff." Jessica continued. "I tried that out on my parents. Not even close."

"Well, I hardly doubt you'd be the only one, Jess," Ellie added as Sydney and Angela joined them. 

"Guys, I'm going to the prom with Eric," Angela announced a giant grin on her face. "I just asked him. I took control."

"What did we say?" Ellie said with a huge smile to match. 

"We told you that would happen." Bella finished, shooting Ellie a look. 

"What about you, Sydney?" Jessica asked, her attention falling onto the blonde girl. "Will we finally get to meet this elusive Max?" 

"Maybe," Sydney grinned despite the blush crossing her cheeks. "You'll have to see."

"What about you, Ellie? Has anyone asked you?" Angela asked. "Or have you asked anyone?" She added as an after-thought. 

Ellie chuckled. "Yeah no. Dances aren't my thing. Not only can I not dance but I'd just end up sleeping through it all anyway. I'd rather not sleep through the apparent most pivotal moment of my teenage career!"

"You could always ask Jasper Hale, I'm sure that he would say yes." Sydney started as Ellie shot her a look. "What? You were giving me the hell the other day about Max and now it's my turn." 

"Yeah, it's really not the same thing, Syd."

"Not the same thing," Sydney repeated mockingly. "Outside of class, the only people the boy talks to are his family and all of a sudden he seems all buddy-buddy with you. Constantly talking to you any chance he gets, helping you out with your crossword puzzle! You don't even let me do that!" 

"We're friends! How is that such a crime? We kind of have to be with the history project and all." Ellie exclaimed. 

"Uh-huh." Sydney returned unconvinced as all the girls except for Bella gave her a sceptical look.

"When are you all going to go shopping for your dress then?" Ellie started, quickly changing the topic and grateful when Jessica immediately picked up the hint. 

"Well, I think we should go shopping in Port Angeles this weekend before all the good dresses get cleaned out." 

"Port Angeles?" Bella repeated. "You mind if I come?" 

"Yeah, I need your opinion," Angela said. "Are you sure you have to go out of town?" 

"Oh, yeah, it's a little family thing." Bella returned.

"What about you, Ellie?" Sydney asked with a grin, knowing very well that her best friend couldn't possibly dislike anything more. 

"No, I think I'll be fine." Ellie returned as the school bell rang out overhead, any previous conversations or the sun quickly forgotten. "You all have fun though."

"This whole situation will never not be funny to me," Ellie exclaimed as she walked into the clearing that she and Jasper had designated as their place. 

"What situation?" Jasper asked with a smile, jumping down from a tree at superhuman speed, a gust of wind following him. 

"The fact that the rest of the town doesn't know you are all vampires." Ellie continued. "And I can't believe I once brushed off the whole going camping thing so easily. You are all the furthest from the Taylor's and they go camping practically every weekend. Although the thought of you all actually camping is hilarious. One of these days I'm going to get on that."

"I'm sure you will, Ellie" 

"Okay but I've got another question. What's the real reason you missed school today? Keeping in mind that it wasn't camping." Ellie asked, before impatiently filling in the answer herself. "It's because you all burn in the sun, right?" 

"A myth." Jasper returned with a smirk, looking at the grinning brunette in front of him. 

"Well, all myths come from some degree of truth." Ellie continued. "Alright, what about garlic?" 

"Still a myth."

 "Okay I know you don't sleep but please tell me that coffins are involved somehow?" 

"Sorry to disappoint you, El. But no." 

"Dang it," Ellie complained. "But you didn't exactly answer my question if the sun doesn't kill you all, why did you miss today?" 

"Why don't I show you?" Jasper asked her. 

"Well, I'm all for that, unless it involves more hiking cause in that case I'm going to pass out any second." 

"Okay then." Jasper returned, before picking the brunette up easily and before Ellie even had time to blink they were in a completely new area of the forest. 

"Hey, no fair!" Ellie exclaimed, jabbing him lightly in the ribs with her elbow only for Jasper to raise an eyebrow knowing that it wouldn't have any effect to him and only end with her having a sore elbow. 

"Come on! All I ask is for a few minutes of your time, ma'am and then you can sleep for as long as you want." Jasper continued. 

"Fine," Ellie complained watching as Jasper stepped forward into the sunlight, as her breath was instantly taken away from her. 

As soon the pale skin of the vampire was touched by the sunlight, his skin was immediately sparkling like diamonds had been embedded into his skin. The reflection of the light sending colours scattering around the clearing. 

"Sparkling vampires, yes!" Ellie exclaimed loudly as Jasper watched her reaction with a huge smile. "That's so fucking cool and so much better than whatever the myths could possibly come up with," Ellie shouted, before sitting down once more on the forest floor. "But before all this excitement has a bad ending, I'm going to sit down." 

It didn't take long for Ellie to submit to the narcoleptic episode that had overtaken her as always. Jasper soon joined her side, leaving the sunlight, a soft smile overtaking his face as the brunette unconsciously rested her head on the vampire's shoulder.