Chapter Thirty-Three

CHAPTER THIRTY-THREE

Despite it all, Eleanora Hadley soon found herself on her first international flight to Italy to save her best friend's idiotic, suicidal ex-boyfriend. She firmly believed that all the proof that the two of them were meant for each other lied within their similar degrees of stupidity when it came to their decision-making.

Although Ellie didn't know much about the Volturi literally speaking, knowing very well she was potentially walking into a lion's den. She only had her limited knowledge thanks to her hindsight to include it within her million different questions she had asked Jasper when she had first found out about vampires. 

With the question of 'did they abide by human laws and government or did they have their own set of rules?', Jasper had explained the Volturi to the brunette. They were based in Italy and were looked to as practically vampire royalty. They made the rules and if anyone tried to break them,  they were met with extreme force. All in all, they sounded extremely dangerous and the last type of people Ellie wanted to end up with. 

But as she found herself speeding down the mountainside road leading straight to the city of Volterra. The countryside blurring past her window, as Ellie leaned against it, her usual narcoleptic daily fatigue on top of the usual jet lag creating a perfect storm of fatigue but she wasn't going to let it stop her. 

"I'm guessing you didn't rent this car?" Ellie began dryly from her spot in the backseat. 

"I figured you wouldn't be opposed to Grand Theft Auto." Alice chorused back. 

"Not today," Bella replied. 

"So I'm assuming there's no time to stop for real Italian gelato? The States equivalent is shit." Ellie joked only to receive silence from the car. Bella briefly glanced back at her from the rearview mirror of the bright yellow Porsche Alice had stolen, it was almost so outlandish and gaudy that it reminded her of her brother's own insanely coloured car. Bella too concerned and panicky about Edward to give her a proper response, while Alice drifted into vision, her hands tightly gripping the wheel.

 If it wasn't the Volturi that Ellie was going to end up getting killed by it would be Alice driving while having visions. She would have offered to drive, convinced that she could win over any Italian authorities despite her lack of driver's license but the plan had the biggest fatal flaw of all. She didn't even know how to drive anyway. 

"They refused him," Alice interrupted, panic rising in her voice. "He's gonna make a scene. . . Show himself to the humans."

"When?" Bella demanded as Ellie's eyes widened as Alice took a sharp turn down a street, her head banging roughly against the glass window. 

"Sorry, El." Alice apologised before looking back to Bella. "He's gonna wait until noon when the sun's at it's highest." She informed, turning down another street and all they could see was red.