Chapter Twenty-Two

CHAPTER TWENTY-TWO

CHAPTER TWENTY-TWO

"Well look who it is." Ellie started with a grin, nudging Sydney's side as Bella Swan stepped out of her truck. "The birthday girl, you're practically ancient now Bells."

"Can you not?" Bella asked. 

"To what part? The birthday part or the ancient one?" 

"Both." Bella returned. 

"Okay, well I'm what three months younger, I'm going to milk it for as long as I can." 

"Looking forward to it as always." Bella returned with a smile. "Just expect payback time the second you turn eighteen."

"Well, I expect you to be standing in my room at exactly 1:30 am then." Ellie joked. "Only an hour and a half away from being a Christmas baby." 

"Here's a question, if you were born on Christmas would you get more or fewer presents?" Sydney chimed in. 

"More."

"Less," Ellie added, smirking at Bella's response. "Take it from someone whose birthday is around Christmas time, you get considerably fewer presents because most relatives can't be bothered to buy two." 

"But she already gets two from me," Sydney added with a smile. "Wouldn't let my best friend go without."

"Even though she doesn't really care." Ellie chimed back with a smile. "So don't feel obligated to choose, either way, Bells." 

"Today's the big day, Bella." Jessica started, as she and the rest of their friends joined the group. 

Ellie hid her smirk at Bella's misfortune, the brief flash of panic behind her eyes daring to send her into stitches. To Bella it was bad enough that both Ellie and Sydney knew already, she hated the thought of everyone else finding out as well. 

"R and J essay due." Jessica continued, as Bella visibly relaxed, a sigh of relief escaping without her permission. 

"Wherefore art thou, Bella?" Mike teased, gesturing around wildly.

"Let me take a picture of you guys," Bella started. "My mom wants me to put together a scrapbook full of memories from my senior year."

"I take them, I'm not in them," Angela replied, attempting to step out of the picture, only to be dragged back by Eric. 

"Ellie!" Sydney hissed as Ellie realised that she was still standing beside Bella. Ellie only rolled her eyes at her own stupidity before joining the group posing for the photo. 

"You'll photoshop this if my nose looks big, right?" Jessica asked, touching her nose before posing once more. 

"Don't worry, I'm in the picture. No one will be looking at you guys," Eric added smugly as the group erupted into laughter. The flash on the camera going off, forever capturing the moment of joy. 

"Oh, good. Cullen's here." Mike chimed in, his voice tinged with annoyance, the group turning to see Edward making his way towards Bella. 

"Okay, that's our cue." Ellie started, tugging on Sydney's arm. "We'll see you later, Bella." 

"I'm seriously never going to get used to that." Sydney started, gesturing behind her to where Bella and Edward were embracing. 

"You have a boyfriend, woman!" Ellie added. "Isn't there some rule that you have to stop being grossed out by romance?"

"Says the girl who still cringes at any sight of romance in movies." 

"It's unrealistic." Ellie defended, as she reached her locker.  

"And you would know how?" Sydney asked. "You and Jas-"

"No!" Ellie interrupted quickly. "It's unrealistic cause it portrays two people who aren't even in love in real life, trying to create some chemistry." 

"That's not always the case." Sydney continued. "Sometimes actors playing romantic interests fall in love." 

"Doesn't that often end badly one way or another?" Ellie asked.

"Okay, sometimes." Sydney eventually admitted. 

"Thank you," Ellie returned with a grin. "I know you would come to your senses eventually, that I'm right."

"You are not-" Sydney started as another figure joined the best friends. 

"Ellie!" Alice Cullen called cheerily, before turning to Sydney. "Hello to you as well, Sydney." 

"Hi, Alice." Sydney returned, before turning back to Ellie. "I'll see you later." 

"No problem," Ellie replied, watching as her best friend disappeared behind the crowd. 

Her different friendships with the Cullens and Sydney often clashed together, Bella the only mutual point. Sydney didn't quite know how to act around the Cullens although it was only ever Alice or Jasper, despite their best efforts to keep Sydney included in the conversation. 

"What can I do for you, Alice?" Ellie started with a wide smile. 

"Is Bella here?" Alice asked. 

"Sure is." Ellie returned. "Should be here in a few minutes."

"I also wanted to invite you to her birthday party." Alice continued. 

"A birthday party? For the girl who dislikes her birthday." Ellie mused. "Does she know?" 

"She's about to," Alice replied with a smile as Bella appeared with Edward by her side. 

"Happy Birthday!" Alice called pulling out a present as Jasper appeared by Ellie's side. 

"Alice, didn't I say no gifts?" Bella asked quietly, looking around frantically for anyone who could've heard. 

"And I barely got one Happy Birthday out before I was shushed, let alone a gift," Ellie grumbled quietly. 

"I wouldn't stress, you aren't the only one," Jasper returned as the two of them turned back to Alice and Bella's conversation. 

"You did. I didn't. I've already seen you open it and guess what? You love it! You're gonna wear it tonight. Our place." Alice continued with a wide smile, watching Bella who was looking reluctant. "Come on, please? It'll be fun. Ellie already said she'd come." 

"I didn't actually say it-" Ellie started but soon stopped when Alice turned around to look at her. "But yes, I'm coming." 

Bella looked accusingly as Ellie who only shrugged with a grin. "Okay, alright." 

"Great! Okay, I'll see you at seven!" Alice called cheerily, before making her way back over to where Ellie and Jasper stood. 

"Wait! Jasper, no fair with the mood control thing!" Bella reprimanded. 

"Sorry, Bella. Happy-" Jasper started before he cut himself off noticing Bella's look. "Never mind." 

"Oh and before I forget." Alice started turning to Ellie. "You are going to wear that dress I made you buy the other week. See you at seven as well!" 

"I'm so not wearing that dress," Ellie complained, as she and Jasper headed to their next class.