Chapter Two

CHAPTER TWO

CHAPTER TWO

Gossip always spread like wildfire through high schools no matter their size. There was always something more interesting going on in someone else's life compared to their own, something that needed to be talked about, completely blown out of proportion. But for Forks High School where the most interesting gossip was a sudden breakup or overdue biology assignments, a new kid's arrival quickly became its own separate unique strain of gossip. 

The arrival of Isabella Swan from Phoenix, Arizona had completely stirred up the metaphorical pot. Whispers trailed behind, people craning their necks for a glimpse of the new girl. For Eleanora Hadley who had experienced it all before, couldn't help but feel sorry for the girl but she knew that the novelty of the new girl would soon wear off, thrown away in trade for another glinting piece of gossip. That was the thing about gossip, no matter how scandalous, it was always replaced by something else. 

Eleanora hadn't had the chance to meet Bella yet until lunch where her blonde best friend had attempted to pull her over to where Bella was already sitting amongst some of their friends. 

"Do you think we should interrupt?" Ellie muttered. "She looks pretty cosy there already with Jess and the others."

"Oh come on. Don't be such a buzzkill, El." Sydney returned, one arm weaved in Ellie's own, the other clutching at her lunch tray. 

"I just don't want to intrude."

"And we won't."

"Have you talked to her yet?" Ellie asked in hushed tones. 

"I haven't. But I was walking past the gym earlier and watched her practically split Mike Newton's head over with a volleyball." 

"God, she must be mortfied." Ellie muttered.

"Yeah well, it's pretty safe to say we won't have another member for the Volleyball team." Sydney added quietly before turning to the table they had finally arrived at. "Bella! It's so nice to finally meet you. I'm Sydney and this is Ellie." Sydney added, sitting down and pulling Ellie to sit beside her. 

Ellie watched as Bella snapped her head from where she had been staring down the elusive Cullen family from their table in the far corner, turning to smile at the newcomers.  

"Hi, I'll second that. It is lovely to meet you." Ellie returned with a warm smile. "Also sorry for Syd here. Sometimes she just can't reel it in."

"Rude."

"It's nice to meet you both." Bella continued, before she fell silent once more. 

The conversation continued like normal following Sydney and Ellie's interruption. The only addition to their everyday conversation was Bella but she didn't seem to be a huge talker either.