Chapter 30. Body And Soul

After leaving Alessandra's room, I headed back to the maid quarters to wait a couple more hours. To go to Talia's chamber immediately would be suicide. No. I needed to wait till they changed shifts so I could sneak in and reason out with her. Without the prying eyes of Ronaldo and the other guards, maybe the conversation would turn out great. Or at least that was what I was hoping for. Either way, I was determined to get her back, or I'd die trying.

When the clock struck 12, I slipped past the hallway, being careful not to be spotted by anyone. To do that, I used the passageways that only I had access to. I should have done this a long time. Why didn't I? Because I was too stressed out about the whole shenanigan, that's why.

Opening Talia's bedroom doors, I made my way inside, shutting the door gently behind me, and making sure to lock it so no one would enter. As I crept inside the dark room, my eyes landed on the princess. She was wearing a navy blue nightgown made from silk and had her back to me, currently facing the window. Bathed with the moonlight, she really looked like a dream.

Talia must have heard or felt my presence because she turned around to face me. "Cybele?" she asked, squinting her eyes to see if she was right.

I stepped closer to her. "Yes it's me."

The princess looked left and right, as if expecting someone else there. She didn't see anyone but me. "What are you doing here?" She was suspicious, yet the happiness in her eyes told me otherwise. "Did anyone see you leave your room? I think you must go."

"I'm not going anywhere until you and I have talked things through," I said, determination in my voice.

Talia looked confused. "What will we talk about?"

"Everything." I sat on the bed, giving her a look. "It's about time you learned about my past. What I've been through all those years that I've been away. Come here princess. I want you right beside me."

Talia hesitated, but seeing the look on my face, she probably decided that I wouldn't budge an inch until we have understood each other. "Alright Cybele. Just let me close the curtains." She pulled the drapes on the windows downward, immediately making the bedroom pitch black. I could hear her walking near me. "We can never be too sure," she said, switching the lamp by the bed open so we could see each other. "Guards are lurking everywhere. Now what is it that you want to talk about?"

I didn't know exactly how to start. Or rather, when to start, because the whole thing happened so many years ago, yet it felt like it was just yesterday. As Talia sat beside me with an expectant look, I cleared my throat, proceeding to plunge into the tale that has given me hate for her mother all my life.

"A decade or so ago, the king and queen wanted to go to the villa. I was a child then, about ten." Talia's eyes dawned of recognition. She was probably remembering some things herself. "I remember that it was cold that day, and father was joking about a present that he would give me. That night inside our room in the villa, Ronaldo, who has been the head guard at that time knocked on our door." I swallowed the lump on my throat, cold sweat trickling down my neck. Relieving the past was never easy. And this one always gave me nightmares.

"Because the king and queen trusted their head guard, they let him in, thinking he was going to report something, but he. . ." My voice trembled, together with my shaking hands. How? How do I start with this?

"Go on. I'm here," Talia said in a soothing tone, holding my hand so I wouldn't feel alone. She wouldn't want to calm me after I told her the truth.

"Ronaldo. . . He. . . He stabbed my father in the chest right in front of me." Talia gasped, her eyes widening in horror. "After Ronaldo was done with the king, he proceeded to murder mother," I choked, the blood on my mother's white dress reminding me of the awful past. "He stabbed me too, then set the villa on fire to cover the evidence. But I survived and escaped."