Chapter 47. Return

Chapter 47.

"Wife?" Ronaldo scoffed. "It has not been two weeks since you came here princess. How can you be married already?"

Talia pulled me to her side. "You have connections. We have ours. Let's leave it at that shall we." She turned to me. "Did this scum hurt you Cybele?"

"If anything, his ugly face hurt me more." I addressed Ronaldo. "As my wife said, there's no reason to act like monkeys on our wedding reception. Do not make a scene. Even if you are protected by Esmeralda, you are still harassing citizens of this country. Our own parliament will not like it. You may not make it back to your country."

Ronaldo glanced at the guests. A distinct flash made him cover his eyes. Some model friends and old colleagues of mine from Cambridge was taking pictures and videos. If he was wise, he would know better than to continue this show of bad manners. Ronaldo turned to his companions. The ones who were manhandling Brooke and Van.

"Make sure to cuff them and take them directly to the car. Nicely," he added, turning to me. "As for you Iris, you're coming with me. Even if you have citizenship here, you still committed a crime in our jurisdiction. The parliament of this country agreed to hand you to us for trial." He sneered. "You're going home."

I held my ground. "And what of the princess? Will she be punished beside me, knowing that she married her kidnapper?"

He shook his head. "That is for Queen Esmeralda to decide." His eyes gleamed. "Your marriage with her will not protect you."

"I didn't expect it to." I intertwined my fingers with Talia's. "We got married out of love. Something you wouldn't understand because the woman you are bedding at night feels nothing for you." I leaned to my wife, whispering, "Sorry you have to hear that."

She squeezed my hand. "The truth can't hurt me anymore." Talia shifted her attention to Ronaldo. "I take it that my mother arranged for a ride back to our country?" He nodded. "How can we be assured that you will not hurt Cybele?" Her voice was loud. She made sure that it carried all the way to the guests.

He answered in kind. "The police from this country will serve as an escort. Rest assured that your citizen will not be harassed." He lowered his voice, speaking directly to me. "But the moment they leave, you're going to be mine."

"I doubt that." My voice was calm. "Let me say goodbye to mother and father first before we go with you." He was about to shake his head when I said, "Don't worry Ronaldo. We won't escape. We're way past that point don't you think?"

He scowled. "Hurry up."

"Thanks man." I patted his shoulder good naturedly, putting some force on the movement. He winced. "Heard you got shot there," I whispered. "Hurts like a bitch doesn't it?" I was dragging Talia to my parent's table before Ronaldo could refuse.

Mum and dad hugged me fiercely. "My baby!" mum said. "I'm not allowing this to happen. I'll use our connection to save you and your friends."

"Don't drag yourself into this mum." I broke away from them. "It's enough that you've made me and Talia happy for this day. Thank you. You've done so much for me." I glanced at daddy. "Trust me."

He stroked my hair. "I'll take care of your mum for you. You handle yourself and Talia." He winked at her. "Give us those twelve grandchildren you promised."

Ronaldo didn't wait a second more. He had me handcuffed before escorting me and my friends out of the venue, straight to a car. Because the police accompanied us, he stayed quietly on the front of the vehicle. His eyes betrayed his happiness though. He was immensely satisfied with capturing me for Esmeralda.