Chapter 18. Two-faced

The night has passed and still there was no Van. I didn’t know what happened to her. It was beginning to worry me. Different scenarios played in my head. She could have been brought to another room, tortured, deprived of food and water, or worse. Muscles and the gang could have slit her throat. The image of Van lying in a ditch somewhere crossed my mind. I shook my head to get rid of the disturbing vision.

On the other hand, they could have set her free. They knew each other even before this right? There was always the possibility that they pitied her and let her go on her merry way. Wanting to stay positive, I stuck with this scenario. As long as Van was alive and not gutted or tortured on my account, I’d be happy, even while I was in a dire situation myself.

The door slid open a fraction, revealing a hairy arm and hand, bringing a tray filled with food. It was Toothy. I was sure of it. As soon as the tray was set on the floor, the hand slid from the crack and to the other side of the door, which shut loudly. I stood up from the floor and ran to the door, banging it with my fists to call his attention.

“I know you’re still there. Please. . . What happened to Van? I need to know.”

Toothy didn’t answer, the sound of his heavy footsteps already fading. Sighing, I slid to the floor and grabbed the tray. It contained a lumpy looking sandwich and a bottle of water. Though it looked too disgusting to eat, I still choked in the food, knowing full well that I needed strength if I wanted to escape from here.

Pushing the tray to the side, I began to think of a way to get out. There were four of them in total, minus Van. Two hulking males and the other half female. I was simply no match for Toothy or Muscles, so I wouldn’t dare try to slip past them. Since the food was never delivered by the leader, I needed to wait for the other woman to do the job.

Once I see the woman’s hand slid inside the door, I would grab it, try to overpower her, and escape. Wait. What if Toothy or Muscles was accompanying the woman at the time? I would be in deep trouble. But I needed to get out of here. It was my only chance. If I didn’t, I would die, be sold off, or something equally unpleasant.

Wishing to conserve my strength, I went to the bed and laid down, my arms slung over my face to block out the light. There were neither pillows nor blankets, but since the room has warmed up and felt comfortable again, this would have to do. At least for now.

By lunchtime, the door swung open, revealing another hand. It was large and calloused- Muscle’s hand. Go away, I thought. I wanted the other girl, not you. Before the door closed I called out, “Where is Van? Is she alright?” The door banged shut. I headed to its direction and pounded it with my fist like the first time. “Where did you take Van?”

“Don’t worry about her,” said Muscles from the other side. “She’s very happy right now. Happily dead,” he chuckled. His footsteps began to fade and I sat on the floor, a hollowed feeling on my stomach. No, this couldn’t be happening. Van was dead. All because of me. Hot salty tears slid from my eyes to my cheeks. I didn’t know her well but I was crying for her nonetheless because she died trying to help me. I shouldn’t have doubted her intentions in the first place. Crawling back to the bed, I let the tears and frustration drown me until I fell asleep.