Chapter 42. Development

I couldn't believe my eyes. It must have been playing tricks on me. The villa stood like a mirage in the dark. Painful memories associated with that place hit me like waves. My parent's death replayed like a broken tape over and over again. It was one endless loop that didn't seem to end.

Talia touched my arm. "You're cold as ice," she said, beginning to look worried. "Please tell me what's going on. Did you see something? What should we do?"

I squeezed my eyes shut and counted to ten. One, I heard someone knock on the door. Two, Ronaldo stepped inside the room, his hand hidden behind him. I trembled in fear, knowing what was going to happen but realizing that I wouldn't be able to stop it. Three, I watched my father as he took his last breath. Four, my mother's white dress was smeared with blood. Five, everything was on fire. Six, escape. . . Seven, run. . . Eight, survive. . . Nine, revenge. . . Ten. . . What was ten?

"Cybele! Cybele!" I barely registered Talia's hands as she shook me. My eyes tried to focus on her face. She was scared.

"I'm okay," I said, gasping like I was being pulled from underwater.

"Thank God," she said, trembling. "I didn't know what to do. You looked like you were having a seizure." Her brows knitted together. "You're sweating so much. Here," she said, wiping my forehead with the hem of her black shirt. "Do you need water?"

I shook my head no. "Talia," I said, looking back at the villa. "Remember what I told you about my parent's death? I think it happened here." The princess appeared surprised. "I think your mother had the place rebuilt after it was burned down, or at least someone did."

Talia sat crossed-legged in front of me, putting the backpack that held our arsenal on the ground beside her. "Can you still do this then?"

I frowned. "Are you calling me a coward?"

"Nothing like that," she said, reaching for my hands. "But I know it must be painful for you." The princess knew me well. She gave me a hesitant look. "If you can't go through with this, I volunteer to be the one who rescue them."

"Bullocks!" I said, taking care not to shout too loud. "You've lost your mind. Do you think I'll let you play Rambo and endanger yourself?"

"Rambo?" she said, amused. "Couldn't you have used the Princess of Genovia as an example? I think that's more appropriate than some muscular guy with big guns."

"The Princess of Genovia doesn't exist."

"Neither does Rambo," she argued.

"Touche." I glanced back at the villa. At present, few lights were open, but I knew that looks could be deceiving. Tens of guards must be roaming the vicinity as we speak. One false move and we were done for. "Princess," I murmured. "Guards are surely stationed outside, as well as inside. But I know a way in."

"Somewhere we can be safe?"

"If it's still there," I clarified. Talia gave me a questioning look. "You see," I said. "Every property of the royals has an escape route. My ancestors had it built for the protection of the royalty, in case we were attacked by the neighboring forces." My hands tightened to fist. "The only reason we weren't able to use it was because the one who murdered my parents was an insider, Ronaldo. If it were any different, they would still be alive today." Rage washed over me. I felt an intense desire to kill the betrayer.

Talia soothed me by rubbing my back gently. "Where is that escape route? We can also use that to break in right?" She dropped her hand, frowning. "What if they already discovered it? They did have the villa rebuilt."