Chapter 38. Nutjob

Chapter 38. Nutjob  

"Ow! Why did you slap me?" I gave Princess Talia a questioning stare. "You don't like me anymore?"

She smiled sheepishly at me. "Mosquito. Oh, there goes another one!" The princess clapped her hands together, missing my face by a few inches. "It slipped away," she said, looking disappointed that she didn't kill the insect that has been bugging us for the last 15 minutes since we started our conversation. Talia fixed her eyes at me. "Back to my earlier question Van. How's it going with Brooke?"

I didn't know how to answer her properly, so I just gazed at the town below, pretending that I didn't hear her. From where we were seated on the hill, the view was incredibly nice.

She snapped her fingers. "Earth to Vanessa. It's rude to ignore your princess."

"Sorry princess. It's just that I didn't get enough sleep last night," I lied. "My thoughts are filled with Brooke. If it's a schedule, it will be overbrooked. If you know what I mean?" I wiggled my eyebrows. "My heart is Brooke-n too."

Talia started to giggle. "You're such a weirdo." She bit her lower lip. "But seriously though, did you manage to get through her? The two of you were so quiet after you returned from your hunting trip last night. Cybele and I thought something happened. Something good I hope."

I took a sharp breath. "Are you okay?" she asked, concern beginning to show on her face. My stomach made a dive to the floor. How could you lie to someone who worried about you deeply? It was all Brooke's fault. If she didn't admit that to me last night, I wouldn't have to feel guilty about anything. I wouldn't have to choose. I wouldn't have a hard time talking to Talia whom I liked deeply as a friend.

"Yes I'm alright princess." I smiled widely, my mouth beginning to hurt from the pretense. I pointed at the horizon, towards the rising sun. "The gorgeous sun just astounded me. Oh such beauty!" I curled my hands, pretending like I was a poet reciting her best work. "Oh the splendor!" I said dramatically.

"Oh such bullshit!" she said in return, sounding sarcastic. "Can you cut the crap and tell me what happened?" She scowled, looking displeased.

My eyes darted quickly to the house. "Shhh! The spirit of your dead mother will hear you princess. Heaven knows she'll hate you for talking like a pirate. On the other hand, pirates are sexy. Not that I've met one."

"Unfortunately my mother is still alive and well. She's probably out there looking for us right now." Talia searched my face. "And you're not telling me something. I know you long enough now to tell when you're lying. Remember when you were still a nutjob? The time when we first met? I learned all about you since then."

"But I'm still a nut job princess. It's just that I'm your nutjob now." She gave me a lackluster smile. But I could tell that underneath that calm demeanor, the princess probably felt happy that we were like a family now. Except for Brooke that is. But Talia didn't need to know that. "And yes I'm keeping something from you princess," I said mysteriously, just to pique her interest.

Her eyes flashed. She took the bait. "What is it?"

I stood up and dusted myself, taking my sweet time. After I was sure that no grass was caught on my jeans, I stuffed my hands into my pocket and gave her a lopsided smile. "I've always had a crush on your girlfriend."

Talia's eyes widened, making me see the grey of her iris completely. But that was just for a second. Her eyes turned from a look of complete surprise to irritation. "Why you!" She scrambled to her feet, but I was faster. By the time she was up, I was already running away. "Come back here Van! Do you really have a crush on Cybele?"