Chapter 27. Words Unsaid

“I can’t believe that we’re scrubbing the floor right now,” Van groaned loudly from beside me. “If it was just me, then I’m totally down for it, but you’re a future queen, and a legit one unlike that poser Esmeralda.” She rolled her eyes. “What right does she have to do this to you?”

“I’m not doing this for her,” I replied in a bored tone as I scrubbed the floor like the living dead with a brush. Probably looked one as well with the way things have been going for us.

Van dunked her own brush on the pail with a disgusted expression on her face. “Then who are you doing this for? The almighty princess Talia?” Her voice was full of sarcasm. “Don’t you forget, she‘s the one who wanted us to be her servants. Ugh! It’s so early in the morning too.”

My heart squeezed involuntarily at the reminder. “Don’t say that Vanessa.” I forced a smile. “Talia is a good person. I’ve known her all my life. And this.” I signaled to the palace floor which one of the guards instructed us to clean, as per the princess orders. “This is not her.”

“Of course it’s not her,” Van smirked. “It’s a good old floor your highness. You must be losing it,” she joked.

“What I meant was, Talia asking us to be her servant was definitely not something that she would do on her own will. She’s probably confused. Esmeralda might have said something or manipulated her in a way. The Talia I love would never sink this low.”

Van sat on the floor, hugging her knees to her chest while I continued kneeling. “I hope you’re right your majesty. Because if not, then I’ll be pissed as hell at her for doing this to you.”

The sound of footsteps on the right alerted us that someone would pass by the hallway where Van and I were located. We got back to work. The footsteps got nearer, though I didn’t raise my head to see who it was. Well that was until that said person spoke in a surprised tone.

“What in the world are you two doing? I’ve been looking all over for you.”

“Oh hello there princess almighty Talia,” Van greeted sarcastically. “What brings you to this dirty side of the palace so early in the morning?” She stood up, throwing the brush on the floor. “I bet you’d like to check if we were slacking off, or perhaps you want us to launder your underwear this time?”

Slowly, I brought my eyes up, until it met hers. Mine was devoid of expression, while hers. . . Hers were beautiful. Beautiful and with a hint of surprise at seeing me on my knees. I matched the stunned look on her face as she kneeled in front of me.

“I didn’t order this,” Talia said, biting her lips. “Someone would definitely pay.”

“Pay for what princess?” Ronaldo appeared from the corner. I didn’t even hear his footsteps. The snake must have been checking on us by coincidence.

Talia stood up, her face hardening. “I didn’t order for them to clean the floor.”