Chapter 40. Whereabouts

"They haven't returned," Talia muttered. She was seated by the kitchen table, writing something diligently on her notebook that we found in one of the rooms upstairs. I was passing by when she said that, making me pause on the doorway leading to the living room.

"I noticed." Talia stopped writing, placing her pen on top of the notebook. She then straightened her back and stretched her arms. I walked to her. "What is it that you're so busy with? You're always writing on that notebook." I frowned. "It makes me miss you."

She answered me with a knowing smile, the corners of her grey eyes crinkling. "Good," she said. "You should miss me from time to time. It means you're still in love Cybele. Let's keep it that way shall we?"

I placed my hands on my waist. "And what makes you think I'll fall out of love with you? For your information, my kind only falls in love once. It's going to be you forever princess." I pointed my thumb on my chest. "You're going to be stuck with this girl until you're old and gray. You got that?"

"Hmmm. . . You just gave me another idea for my story. I've already told Van about it." Talia drummed her fingers on the kitchen table. "Speaking of Van, they haven't returned since yesterday. Do you think something happened?"

I leaned on the wall. The same question has been nagging me all night. They should have returned with their hunt around 9 pm like they usually did. If they couldn't because of certain circumstances, they should have made it home early this morning. Something was definitely up.

"Brooke is a smart girl," was my only reply.

Talia studied my face. "I understand that, and since Van is with her, they won't make any mistakes. But I also know that something has been bothering Brooke the last couple of days, and this can impair her judgment. She did try to kill you after all." Talia's voice was even, but I could see her eyes gleam and her hand form into fists.

I took a sharp breath. "Really?"

She rolled her eyes. "Oh don't play the innocent game Cybele." Talia stood up. "I'm not blind, and you're not either. You know as well as I do about what was going on." She pushed her chair back. It scraped on the wood flooring. Talia walked straight towards me. My body stiffened as her hand went for my face. She was going to slap me for covering up for my best friend, and I knew deserved it.

I was prepared for what was coming, yet it didn't come. She stroked my cheek gently instead. "Relax," she murmured. I calmed down in a second, my body slacking. "If I want to punish you, I'll do so in the bedroom," she teased, making me groan. Talia laughed and stepped back so she could take a good look at me. She really did know how to get in my head and play with me.

"Why do you think she'd want to harm you Cybele? It's not because of our relationship is it?"

I blinked a couple of times. "No. . . Brooke wouldn't sink so low. I've known her long enough to understand her."

Talia pursed her lips, glancing out the window. Her eyebrows pulled together. I wondered what she was thinking of. "The only other explanation is my mother," she murmured.

"Yes."

Talia looked back at me. There was palpable pain in her eyes. "I'm sorry. Even your best friend is manipulated by the Queen. I should have let you kill her." She took a sharp breath. I knew she hated her mother, but deep within her, Talia still had an ounce of love for Esmeralda. And for that, I treasured the princess more. She was a good person, even whilst her mother was the total opposite.

I held her on the shoulders, staring deep into her eyes. "Hey. . . We've talked about this right?" She nodded. "It's not your fault Talia. It never was. Instead of blaming yourself, what we need to do is figure out why Brooke and Van haven't returned yet and solve my best friend's problem. Deal?"