Chapter 39. Alone

Chapter 39. Alone

In my whole existence, I was torn up about two things. One, I have always wanted to find my forever, kind of what I've watched in Disney movies. In my mind, a beautiful girl would come, and she would sweep me off my feet as we rode on her white horse, lesbian style. Then, we'd live happily ever after while tending to our gazillion adopted kids. The end.

Then, I'd think about all those nice ladies with sultry lips, wide hips, and big bonbons that I could be making out with, and my dreams about the ever after would vanish into thin air. Just like that. And so I became what you might call a flirt. Yes ladies and gentleman, the great Vanessa was the biggest flirt in history since Taylor Swift. Just kidding. We all know she didn't have THAT much boyfriends.

But women loved it. Whenever I had a prospect in mind, I would simply unleash my killer smile to get what I wanted. A hundred percent of the time, it worked like a gem. I have never ever failed to impress a girl. So why then, I thought as I felt Brooke slap me on my back, was this particular girl able to resist me? And why, for the love of God, was I so attracted to her? Was she my ever after?

"You've been carrying me on your back for 20 minutes Van," she grumbled. "Put me down. I can walk on my own." I continued carrying her, being careful not to slip on roots and mossy rocks as we made our way somewhere in the forest. I felt her pinch my ass, hard.

"Ow!" I complained, as I finally placed her on her feet, wincing at the pain. "Why did you do that? My ass is insured for a lot of money. If anything happens to it I'm going to be very unhappy."

She smirked. "You should have put me down earlier. What?" she taunted. "You enjoy carrying me that much?"

I eyed her from head to foot. She was wearing tight jeans and a white v-neck. Ooh-lala! "Let me carry you all the way to the church where we will say our vows Brookey."

She stuck her nose in the air, looking like the snobbish rich girl she was. "You wish."

I rubbed my hand over my chin. "How are you able to do it?"

"Do what?" she asked, raising an eyebrow.

"Resist me. Most girls I knew didn't stand a chance. What made you so special?"

Brooke crossed her arms over her chest. "You're not my type," she said, running her eyes on me this time. "You're blonde. I like dark hair. You always have that silly smile on your face, and I like the brooding type more. Plus I'm sensing something in you."

"What? Superstar qualities?" I teased.

"No. Psychopathic tendencies," she said with a straight face. Ouch! That would have burned big time if it wasn't true. Brooke placed her hands on her waist. "Anyway, why are we here? You could have easily talked to me back there."

I walked next to a tree and examined its brown bark before answering her. It had endless loops and patterns. The bark was as complicated and beautiful as the dark haired girl standing before me. I straightened my back before glancing at her. All the answer I've been seeking would be revealed today. It had to.

"Why did you want to kill her majesty Cybele?" I watched in silence as Brooke's stance became rigid. Her jaw also clenched, indicating that she was defensive about it. "Well? Aren't you going to answer the question?" I prodded.

"I decline."

"Then we have no choice but to stay here."

She rolled her eyes. "As if you can force me to do that Van." Brooke started to head back to the path that we took earlier. Using my fast reflexes, I was blocking her way at once. Her eyes rose to meet mine. She couldn't believe that I moved so quickly. "Excuse me, but what are you doing? Let me pass." Her eyebrows twitched, hinting her annoyance.