Chapter 37. Revelation

One week. . . It has been one week since Brooke suggested that she and I should go for a hunt. Since then, everyday at around 4 in the afternoon, she and I would leave the house on top of the hill where we, together with Talia and Cybele resided and go to the forest to get our food for the next day.

We haven't completely vacated the house for fear of being discovered by the Queen's men. They must still be searching, seeing that it has only been a few days since Talia and Cybele-the princess and the traitor have gone missing. The house offered safety, protection, and a clear view from any intruders so it was logical that we stayed.

It was no vacation place. Far from it really. There were no food and luxurious rooms. But we did manage to entertain ourselves with anecdotes from Cybele and Talia's past plus my own silly history. I learned a lot of things about Brooke as well. Stories that didn't involve Cybele.

From what I gathered, Brooke's family originally came from Australia. Her parents were expert programmers. That was where she got her love for computers. They opened their own company and soon transferred to England. They got richer, expanded to different businesses, and lo and behold, became the millionaires that they were today. Brooke told the story like it was nothing but a boring tale, but to me it was fascinating.

I liked the way her eyes would light up whenever her passion for computers would be brought up. I also couldn't help but notice how her voice would take that patronizing tone when her parents were mentioned. She must really love and adore them to ignite such a reaction. And to think that she'd do anything to follow in their footsteps. That was why I decided that I wanted to meet them someday. As their daughter-in-law of course. Hahahaha!

"Shhhh!" Brooke said, holding a finger to her lips.

"What? I didn't say anything?" I complained, shrugging.

She rolled her eyes. "You were standing there and laughing. Have you gone insane?" The game that she was supposed to catch ran away. Brooke looked disappointed. "You're such a freaking maniac you know that?"

My shoulders slumped. I wasn't making any progress with her. But I felt the need to explain myself. "It's okay Brookey baby. I didn't want to eat that game anyway. It's a bunny. A cute bunny I might add." She gave me an amused look. "What?" I said for like the tenth time today. "Its momma might miss it. Didn't you think about that? How selfish of you."

Brooke tried to hide her smile. "Do you know Charles?"

"Xavier? Yeah! He's bald but oh man his power is the best!"

"I was talking about Darwin. You know the one who introduced the phrase survival of the fittest? Blimey Vanessa your mind is always flying. I wonder what you learned in school with your way of thinking."

"Oh. . ." I said, my excitement ebbing. "I thought we were talking about mutants." My lips quirked up. "And I learned from school that hot girls have a sensitive side too. Want to show me yours?" That statement earned me a glare from her. "Just kidding," I added quickly. "So. . . We were talking about your best pal Darwin."

Brooke nodded. "Yes. You said earlier that we shouldn't kill the bunny. But if we do that with every animal that we see here, we'll end up starving. So it's either us or them. I choose to kill them."

I whistled low. "Wow. . . I take it back about the sensitive side. You don't have one."

"Correct. And if you get in the way with my catch again." She raised a hand that held her dagger. "This will go right through your throat. Get it?"

I swallowed hard. The threat was real. "Yes ma'am."

The very next afternoon, we were back in the forest doing our usual hunt. Strangely, the sun was still high in the sky, making me uncomfortably sweaty and sticky. Brooke looked tired too, though we have only been setting traps and searching for an hour. Her blue shirt was drench in sweat.