Chapter 41. Mission

Chapter 41. Mission

"Where should we start?" Talia asked, her eyes wide with excitement.

I measured her with a look. She changed from her usual outfit of frilly dresses to a more comfortable jeans and t-shirt. We were standing outside, soaking in the afternoon light. The wind blew hard, putting her hair in disarray. It was the perfect weather for training. I took something from my pocket and handed it to her.

"Here, use this to tie your hair. It will only hinder you in combat." I waited for Talia to put up her honey-colored locks before going further. "What do you know about fighting princess?"

She thought hard. "Nothing," Talia admitted, crinkling her nose. "Except of course if you count the times I fought with you when you kidnapped me."

I gave her a stern look. "Now is not the time for jokes princess. The more we stay here, the less our chance of seeing Brooke and Van alive. Don't make me repeat the question."

She nodded, seeming to understand my point. "One palace guard did attempt to teach me some moves before, upon my request. However, when Ronaldo found out, he put a stop to it. I never saw the guard again and all he was able to teach me was to kick and punch, and then some."

"And then some," I said, sighing. "Okay then." I made a come-here motion with my hands. "Attack me. Let's see how well you can throw that punch."

"You mean now?"

"Well I'm not waiting for Christmas to rescue them Talia. Attack me. Now." The princess shortened the distance between us, until she was an arms reach away from me. She hesitantly raised her hands, reminding me of inexperienced boxers. I gave her a look of encouragement. "Go on princess."

She made a quick jab, which I blocked easily by catching her fist. "Rule number one of fighting," I said, staring her squarely in the eyes. "Do not let your opponent know where your attack will come from."

Her forehead crinkled. "B-but you said to punch you."

"I said that, but you didn't have to follow it did you?" I released her hand. "Again," I commanded. "Again and again until you're able to hit me. Your form is good. I'll give you that much. The guard who taught you made some progress. However, you need confidence and experience. When we rescue Van and Brooke, the longer you hesitate, the more the enemies can kill you, and I will never let that happen so take this seriously."

Talia raised her arms again. This time, her stance was different, which I recognized as karate. She attacked me without giving a warning by throwing a more confident punch towards my gut. I deflected it with a hand, just as easily as I did the first one.

"That's a bit better princess." I wagged a finger at her. "But it's not enough to take down an enemy. Surely you can do better?"

Talia rolled up the sleeves of her t-shirt. She got her game face on. "Hiyaaaaa!" she screamed, throwing punches after punches, targeting my face and body. As I blocked each and every one of them, I began to get increasingly worried. We would not make it alive to wherever we were going if she didn't improve by tonight. I had to toughen her up, or I'd have no choice but to leave her behind.

I pushed her backwards, hard. Talia was surprised by my roughness. "Hey! What gives?" she complained.

I circled her, like what a hawk would do in the air once it saw a mouse in the fields. "I never had this kind of problems with Brooke," I said with a mocking tone. "She was always good with fighting." Talia followed me with her eyes. "You know, sometimes I wish. . ."

"Oh don't you dare go there Cybele," she hissed.

"Go where?" I said snidely. "I'm just telling the truth. Brooke seems to be the better among-" Talia attacked me, looking fully enraged. Her punches got heavier, angrier, and more effective. It was the reaction I was looking for. If we were to rescue our friends, we couldn't afford to be gentle.