Chapter 46. Crash and Burn

Chapter 46.

It took me three more days before I figured out what to do. I locked myself inside the bedroom, refusing to let anyone in, including Talia. The servants would deliver my food at designated times of the day to prevent me from starving. The windows were shut, the curtains closed. The room was dim as I sat in the corner, contemplating on things.

Since Talia was doing a couple of tasks herself, things that needed attention, she left me to my thoughts. I should have helped her. Be with her in every process. But I couldn't. Both of us understood that letting me concentrate was for the bigger picture. It was not only for us. This was the future of our home country we were waging on.

My adoptive parents also kept out of my way. Though I haven't seen them since I woke up from my comatose, they held their tongues and gave me respect. By now, there was no shred of doubt that they knew who I really was, the heir to a fallen kingdom. Yet for all the secrets that they learned, not once did my overdramatic mother and genius of a father marched inside my room to demand for answers. They loved me that much.

I emerged from the room after three days. My sleep deprived eyes blinked against the morning sun. Talia was in the hallway, leaning against the wall. She looked beautiful in a purple dress. Her face brightened when our gaze made contact. "I had a feeling I'd see you today."

"Have you waited long?" I offered my arm. She took it with a smile.

"Yeah, but not so much." I frowned. She glanced sideways at me as we walked along the corridor. "Van told me that you were talking to gorgeous ladies a few days ago. Should I kill you for not being faithful to your princess or Van for allowing you to go on your merry way?"

I hid my smile. "Neither. I was always faithful to you Talia. Besides, Vanessa would probably find humor in being killed by you. She always does." We stopped in the middle of the hallway. "How are the things that you have been doing in my absence?"

"It's fine." A thoughtful look crossed her face. "But I missed you. It's been a while." Her arms circled around my neck.

"Mmmm. . . Lavender," I whispered as I touched our foreheads. "I've missed you too. Your scent." I took a deep breath. "Your skin." I stroked her cheek. "And that mouth." I licked my lips. "I'm dying to taste it again."

"Finger licking good!" Van made slurping noises. Talia and I broke apart. We turned to Van as one, amused. We were so used to her by now. There was no need to be irritated. "Oh please don't stop on my accord your highness. It's just getting to the good part."

Brooke pinched Vanessa's ears. "What did I tell you?" my best friend warned.

"Ow! Ow! Ow! You're hurting me," Van complained. Strangely, she was smiling. "Do it some more. Stomp on my heart Brookey. Show me who is boss."

Brooke dropped her hand, shaking her head. "You're hopeless. I can't believe I fell for that." Her features softened as she gazed at me. "I'm happy to see you Cybele. It's been days." Brooke turned to Talia, as if asking for her permission. When the princess nodded, my best friend closed the remaining distance between us and hugged me. "I don't know what I'd do without you."

"Probably go back to your un-cool self." I smiled over her shoulder. "I heard that you've been-"

"Stabbed in the back your highness," Van interrupted. "Get it? No?"

"I'm okay now," Brooke murmured, ignoring Van.

"Good. So you and Van huh?" I felt her nod. "How in the bloody hell did that happen? Did she joke her way into your heart?"

Brooke stepped back. "Something like that."

"Well in any case, I'm glad that you found someone." I glanced at our small circle. "Any more news that I need to know? I've been stuck in that God-awful room for some time." I moved my head side to side, feeling the knots loosen.