Chapter 26. Betrayed

The trip back to the palace was a long and arduous journey. Upon seeing Cybele and Van tied to the floor, I pleaded with Ronaldo to set them free, to no avail. Brooke was nowhere to be found. At the back of my mind, I was scared that something bad might have happened to her. But was it worse than the fate that awaited my Princess Charming and the newfound friend I have made?

It was clear as daylight that they were the ones who “kidnapped” me. My strict mother would not like this. But really, I had absolutely no idea what would happen. Cybele was the real heir to the throne. Surely mother would look past this kidnapping thing and give Cybele the seat. Or at least that was what I hoped for.

We reached our destination after 5 hours of traveling by car. As soon as the vehicle stopped in front of the palace, I opened the car door, wishing to get to Cybele and Van who has been separated forcefully from me during the whole ride. Ronaldo stepped in front of me, blocking my way. “Don’t you want to greet your mother first princess? She has been dying to see you.” He clasped his hands together.

I stared the big guy right in the eye. He reminded me of a brown bear, ready to pounce any minute. But I wasn’t afraid. The desire to hold Cybele and make sure she was treated right was stronger. “Mother would have to wait,” I told him with a straight face. “She hasn’t seen me for months. I’m sure a couple more minutes wouldn’t hurt.” I tried side-stepping him. He was quicker.

“Oh but I insist princess. Do your duties to your mother the queen first, then you can see your precious Cybele.” He said the word queen with reverence. What a total maggot. I didn’t get why mother kept him around. Sure he was one of the oldest and most trusted guards, but he looked at her like she was something to eat. Disgusting.

 “Step away Ronaldo,” I commanded. He didn’t budge. “It’s an order.”

Ronaldo shook his head. “No can do princess.”

“Step away or I’ll bite you.”

“It’s only been several months princess, yet you seem to have forgotten your manners.” He stared at me with disappointment. “Your mother will not like the way you speak.”

Who cares about her? I thought, gritting my teeth. Ronaldo stunned me by suddenly grabbing my legs, hauling me on his wide shoulders. “What do you think you’re doing?! Set me down!” I pounded my fist on his back. He started to walk inside, nodding to the guards who stood in attention at the palace doors.

“Stop resisting princess,” he murmured, sounding like he was enjoying it. “The queen always has to come first.” Ronaldo took me down the hall and up the familiar stairs. All the while I tried to jerk away from him. We ended up in my room, where he dumped me on the bed like I wasn’t his princess.

“You’re the biggest jerk in history you know that?” I huffed, brushing my hair away from my face.

The wooden double doors opened with a creak as mother stepped inside, wearing her usual queenly garb and the most serious expression on her face. Ronaldo gave a low bow upon seeing her. “Leave us,” she said with an air of command on her tone. I surely didn’t miss that. The huge guard scrambled to his feet to obey the queen, shutting the door quietly behind him.