Chapter 19. Gone

Chapter 19. Gone

“You’re in a good mood today,” Brooke said, her hair fluttering in the wind as the car sped on the road.

“How can you tell?”

Her midnight black eyes concentrated on me. “You’re aura is different. It’s lighter somehow. Like the sky is going to open any second, revealing angels in heaven.”

My eyes darted to her before I stared back at the road, focusing on my driving. “Oh so you’re like a psychic now?” I smirked. “And to tell you honestly, yes my mood is divine.”

“Did something happen between you and Talia?” she asked.

I felt my cheek heat up at her question. “No nothing happened. Besides, who I fuck is totally none of your bloody business.” She snorted at my retort. I ignored her and said, “Let’s not talk ok? I want to concentrate on the road.” Getting back to the peaceful ride, I imagined Talia waiting for me at the building. I promised her that we would talk after I returned, so I was feeling a bit excited and nervous at the same time.

Perhaps after all was said and done, I could finally show Talia how I truly felt about her. How I’ve longed to stroke her honey colored hair since the day I got her. How badly I wanted to kiss her, breathe each other’s scent, and simply hold her in my arms while telling her that I was in love with her. Yes, all that would come true after we’ve talked.

Reaching our destination, I parked the car in the garage, tossing the key to Brooke before I opened the door. “See you later. I have something to do.” I didn’t wait for her reply and went to the entrance of the 4 floor building. My hands stopped just in front of the security pad where I had to punch in the codes. The door was slightly ajar. “Brooke,” I called out without looking at her. “Did you leave the door open?”

She walked behind me. “No. You were the last one who got out remember? And I recall that you shut it tightly before we went on our way. Why?”

Cold sweat trickled down my neck. Swallowing hard, I slammed the door open and ran inside. Brooke followed quickly behind, wondering what was wrong. Jogging up the stairs, I noticed that the entrance to the second floor was forced open. No, no please, I thought as I ran inside. “Talia!” I called out, praying silently that she was there. She didn’t answer.

I searched every room only to find that it was empty. My hands shaking, I opened my own room, my knees buckling as the empty space mocked me, laughing at its queen for losing her only love. Brooke slammed on my back. “Iris, what’s going on?” she asked, panic dominant in her voice.”

My hands curled in anger. “Someone took her from me.” Walking briskly to the control room, I punched in the code in a hurry, wanting to find out who had the audacity to kidnap my princess. Brooke looked over my shoulder as I rewind the video a few minutes earlier. We both watched as five intruders activated each code in the building, found Talia, and forcefully took her away.