Chapter 11. Remembered

“You should have let me died,” I said while staring out the window. It was pointless to live without Cybele by my side.

Mother tried to sit in my bed beside me but I gave her a piercing glare. The look of astonishment in her face was picture perfect. I wish I could have captured it, but it was gone in an instant. “Of course I can’t let you die Talia, you’re my successor to the throne.”

“Can’t you just say that you love me mother?” I continued looking out the window. The garden was calling me at the moment. I missed it like I missed Cybele. It should have all ended when I slit my throat. If only the guards didn’t follow me.

“I do love you Talia,” mother said with a tone I couldn’t quite place. “You are my only daughter.” She began to reach out for my hand which I hurriedly tucked underneath the blanket so she wouldn’t be able to. I was feeling a combination of love and loathing for her. Love because she was my mother, and hate because she didn’t let me die along with Cybele who was long dead.

She sighed, taking a black, soft thing out of her coat pocket and handing it to me. “What is that for?” I asked while raising my eyebrows. She’d rarely given me gifts, let alone hand one herself. Mother was cold like that.

I took the material and gazed at it. “Is this a choker?”

Mother nodded and sat down on the bed. This time, I let her. “Yes it’s a choker. That wound will turn into a scar,” she said while glancing at my bandage covered neck. “When it does, people will ask questions. Those questions will turn into rumors and we don’t want that to happen do we? That’s why you need to wear that choker from now on.”

I hurled the choker across the room in anger and placed my hand over my throbbing neck. “Let them see the scar. It’s my symbol of love for Cybele.”

Her nostril flared as she raised her hand to slap me in the face. Remembering that I was recovering from my wound and nearly died a few days ago, she lowered her hand and took a deep breath. “How many times do I have to repeat it Talia? Cybele never loved you. She wanted you dead.”

I met her cold stare and said, “I wish I was dead too.”

My eyes fluttered open as I heard a sobbing sound near my ears. After a while, I realized that I was the one crying. Remembering the past was too painful. Even in the form of a dream. I curled myself into a ball and let the tears flow, my body vibrating softly on the bed all the while.

“Talia?” she spoke while entering the holding room. When she saw me crying, she dropped whatever it was that she was carrying and quickly went to the bed beside me. “Hey,” she said as she took me into her arms and rocked us back and forth. “Why are you crying?”

“I miss someone,” I whispered, my voice cracking. Her body turned rigid against me, but she rubbed my back gently after a few seconds, calming me down. Minutes later, I wiped my eyes with the back of my hand and raised myself to a sitting position.

“You’re a very kind-hearted kidnapper. You know that?”

She gave me a frown and stood up. “I’m not kind at all,” she snapped while turning around and heading to the door. She stopped monetarily and picked up the new clothes that she brought for me. “Here.”

I caught the clothes deftly and watched as she exited the room and closed the metal door with a click. “Thank you Cybele,” I whispered.

Swallowing the lump in my throat, I hurried to the bathroom and stripped myself. I sighed as the warm water from the shower hit my body. It felt nice. But not nice enough to make me forget the past. I’ve been inside this building for more than 4 months now. I didn’t know what Cybele wanted to happen, and I had no idea what she was up to.