Chapter 7. Adopted

Chapter 7. Adopted

“Can you tell us your name?” said the elderly woman. I stubbornly held my tongue and didn’t reply. The woman turned to her female associate and sighed. “She’s been with us for a month but we’ve made no progress. She doesn’t eat much either. The counselor said that this child has been traumatized. I hope we can do something for her.”

The associate arranged her reading glasses against her nose. “She was bloody and dying when we found her. I wonder what happened. No child should have gone through that.” The associate tried to keep her voice low, but I could hear their conversation very well.

“We’ll try talking to her again later. For now, we should prepare. The Prescott’s will be arriving today from England. I want everything ready when they come over.” The associate nodded and with one last glimpse at me, both of them walked away.

I hugged my knees and placed my head against it. All the other children were in the dining area while I stayed in our room that housed more than 10 beds. I didn’t want to speak or be friends with anyone. My only wish was to get out of here and go back to the palace where I belonged.

I did speak to them the first time they got me. I told them I was the princess but they thought I was delusional. But how would they believe me when no other people outside the noble’s and palace guards and servants have seen their princess? The commoners knew of my existence though they have never seen my face.

The king and queen were fiercely protective of me so they didn’t want my image to be pasted in every newspaper. But now they were dead and no one could protect me but me.

I saw something move from the corner of my eye, grabbing my attention. When I looked up, the image of Henrieta greeted me. She was this mean kid who was taller and dumber than me. “Hello princess,” she sneered. I didn’t reply and just stared at the floor.

The other kids somehow found out that I was saying I was the princess and they thought it was funny. That was why Henrieta decided to bully me. To them I was an orphan who wanted to be royalty.

“Why won’t you talk to me princess?” she cajoled. “Are you mute? Or maybe the king and queen don’t allow you to speak?”

 At the mention of my dead parents, I quickly stood up and twisted Henrieta’s arms behind her in a swift move. My training was not lost in me. “If you say that again I will break your arms and cut your tongue,” I said in a low voice. I didn’t want the adults to hear our little spat.

“I am the princess and I’m going to reclaim the throne someday. When that happens you will bow to me.” Henrieta struggled against my grip but she couldn’t. Sweat slowly trickled down her face and when she realized that she was no match, she finally succumbed. I let her go and watched as she cried and ran out of the room. I resumed my position in the corner and stayed like that until I fell asleep.

 The next thing I knew, someone was shaking me gently. “Hey there kid,” said a woman’s voice. I opened my eyes and saw a kindly looking woman with a diamond necklace and earrings kneeling in front of me. She was brunette and had a lopsided smile.

“Won’t you hurt your back sleeping in that position?”

I didn’t answer and stared at the floor. Who was she and what did she want from me? Sensing that I wouldn’t answer, she said, “You’re a very pretty girl. The prettiest that I’ve seen in my life. Would you like to come with me and my husband?”

That got my attention. “Where?” I asked with a scratchy voice. I haven’t been using my mouth as much as I’ve used to and it seemed that it forgot its function. The kindly woman stood up and offered a hand. Her smile and posture was so much like my mother’s that I couldn’t help but take it.